Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive freeze on Boot

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 GaryCarter

GaryCarter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 23 August 2009 - 04:33 PM

Hi All,
This is the first time I have posted on a Blog if there is eticut that I am not displaying that would be why. I'll get better.
I bought a Western Digital My Book 640 GB External Hard drive for my system. The idea was to install software that would allow me to have the system Image Backed up regularly.
The problem at this point is that the Window XP operating system freezes up if the External Hard Drive is attached via USB. If I plug in the Hard Drive after the fact there is no concern.
Okay, your turn, what the heck is going on. lol
Below is a picture of my system if it is of any help.
Also where would I be best to look for the software to perform the mentioned task?
Thanx for all help,
Gary Carter aka 1st Marine

Operating System System Model
Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 (build 2600) Intel Corporation
Processor a Main Circuit Board b
2.40 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
8 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: Intel Corporation D865PERL AAC27648-207
Serial Number: AZRL32512106
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: Intel Corp. RL86510A.86A.0058.P08.0307151556 07/15/2003
Drives Memory Modules c,d
250.05 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
96.36 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

HP CD-Writer+ 9500 [CD-ROM drive]
Optiarc DVD RW AD-7170A [CD-ROM drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

WDC WD2500JB-00REA0 [Hard drive] (250.06 GB) -- drive 0, s/n WD-WCANKE171432, rev 20.00K20, SMART Status: Healthy 1024 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'J5G1' has 512 MB
Slot 'J5G2' is Empty
Slot 'J5H1' has 512 MB
Slot 'J5H2' is Empty
Local Drive Volumes

c: (NTFS on drive 0) 104.86 GB 50.47 GB free
d: (NTFS on drive 0) 145.19 GB 45.89 GB free
Network Drives
None detected
Users (mouse over user name for details) Printers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 23 August 2009 - 06:23 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

There are all sorts of options for backing up systems/files. You need to review some basics, then decide in which direction you want to go. Plenty of software options available.

Backup Options - http://www.onecomputerguy.com/install/backup.htm

Implementing a backup strategy - http://www.pcug.org.au/boesen/Backups/backups.htm

My interpretation, may be incorrect but...

When XP begins the boot process, an inventory is conducted quickly of connected components. If a component is connected (such as a USB-connected drive) and powered on...I believe that XP sees it as a potential boot device (what other reason could it be powered on for, at this stage?) and this tends to stop the boot process, while XP tries to figure out what is going on (siince it's not a boot device because it has no Windows install).

The simple solution is to turn on/connect USB-powered devices after the boot process is complete.

Louis

#3 GaryCarter

GaryCarter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 25 August 2009 - 08:07 PM

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond to my concern.
I see your reasoning about connecting the hard drive after the boot.
It makes the problem go away but leaves me in a bit of a lurch. You see
I was hoping to e able to have the hard drive do a constant Image Backup
of my system. Do you know, is there a setting in BIOS that will permit me to
leave the External Hard Drive connected and have the setting set so that the
boot process is not interrupted?
The Image Backup that updates constantly is what I was hoping for. Does this make
sense?
Thanx again for response,

Gary

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 25 August 2009 - 08:41 PM

Backup software...doesn't begin to work until the system has fully booted.

Having a drive connected before then...has nothing to do with any snapshot photo taken, since such are taken continuously, depending on the software used.

Snapshot software...is not the same as backup software, in my mind. As far as I know, there is no software program that can do more than either take snapshots of the system files at a given point...or backup the system at a predetermined point in time. It's been awhile since I played around with this type of software, but you can read up on it and see if my premises are accurate.

There is no advantage at all in taking a snapshot of the boot process in a system. The advantage comes only when the user is able to repair or reinitiate/repair boot problems. In most cases, that means having a copy of the O/S install CD that is current regarding SP-level on the system.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users