Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vimax Ads and Google Redirecting

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 pleaselucky

pleaselucky

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 23 August 2009 - 03:51 PM

Hey

I'm using Internet Explorer on Windows XP. Recently I found out that these Vimax ads have been showing up on most websites I visit.

Also, Google is working slower than usual and redirecting all of my results to other websites. (Mainly Yahoo.com)
The cached function isn't showing up anymore too.

I scanned my whole computer with AVG and no infections were shown in results.

How can I get rid of these infections?

Thanks

Edited by pleaselucky, 23 August 2009 - 04:11 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 23 August 2009 - 05:53 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Please subscribe to your topic so that you will be notified as soon as I post a reply, instead of you having to check the topic all of the time. This will allow you to get an email notification when I reply.

To subscribe, go to your topic, and at the top right hand corner by your first post, click the Options button and then click Track this topic. The bullet the immediate notification bubble. Then press submit.

Lets take a look with Malwarebytes

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here:
Malwarebytes
Please rename the file BEFORE downloading to zztoy.exe instead of mbam-setup.exe

MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.

Double Click zztoy.exe to install the application.
* Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
* Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Full Scan", then click Scan.
* The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.(See Extra Note)
* The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
* Copy&Paste the entire MBAM report (even if it does not find anything) in your next reply

Extra Note:
If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts,click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process, if asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately.

If Malwarebytes won't install or run

Some types of malware will disable MBAM and other security tools. If MBAM will not install, try renaming it. Right-click on the mbam-setup.exe file and change the .exe extension to .bat, .com, .pif, or .scr and then double-click on it to run.

If after installation, MBAM will not run, open the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware folder in Program Files, right-click on mbam.exe and change the .exe as noted above. Then double-click on it to run.
Computer Pro

#3 pleaselucky

pleaselucky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2009 - 06:09 PM

Thanks for helping out. Really appreciate it.

But I have one problem. The MBAM shows an error whenever I try to update the latest version and I can't access the MBAM website. The page shows "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" so I had to download it off cnet.com . I'm sure its the malware messing with my computer because my internet connection is fine. I'm kinda lost now. How should I proceed?

#4 pleaselucky

pleaselucky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2009 - 06:28 PM

Awesome! The problems listed are gone. Thanks a lot Bleeping Computer.
BTW, here is the entire MBAM report copy and pasted.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.40
Database version: 2551
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

24/08/2009 9:22:35 AM
mbam-log-2009-08-24 (09-22-35).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|D:\|)
Objects scanned: 134181
Time elapsed: 18 minute(s), 23 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 1
Registry Values Infected: 2
Registry Data Items Infected: 12
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 2

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\ESQULserv.sys (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\svchost.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\braviax (Trojan.Downloader) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\FirewallDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\UpdatesDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\FirewallDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\UpdatesDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\NameServer (Trojan.DNSChanger) -> Data: 85.255.112.13,85.255.112.110 -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{12985d8b-6d45-4fd6-a2c0-3b4bd080c878}\NameServer (Trojan.DNSChanger) -> Data: 85.255.112.13,85.255.112.110 -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\NameServer (Trojan.DNSChanger) -> Data: 85.255.112.13,85.255.112.110 -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{12985d8b-6d45-4fd6-a2c0-3b4bd080c878}\NameServer (Trojan.DNSChanger) -> Data: 85.255.112.13,85.255.112.110 -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\NameServer (Trojan.DNSChanger) -> Data: 85.255.112.13,85.255.112.110 -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{12985d8b-6d45-4fd6-a2c0-3b4bd080c878}\NameServer (Trojan.DNSChanger) -> Data: 85.255.112.13,85.255.112.110 -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\Sysvxd.exe (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\Tasks\{7B02EF0B-A410-4938-8480-9BA26420A627}.job (Trojan.Downloader) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Edited by pleaselucky, 23 August 2009 - 06:31 PM.

#5 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 23 August 2009 - 06:52 PM

Hello pleaselucky.

There are some entries in that Malwarebytes log that concern me. Your machine may not be completely cleaned. We need to do a rootkit scan.

Please install RootRepeal
Note: Vista users ,, right click on desktop icon and select "Run as Administrator."
  • Go HERE, HERE, or HERE and download RootRepeal.zip to your Desktop.
Disconnect from the Internet or physically unplug your Internet cable connection.
Close all open programs, scheduling/updating tasks and background processes that might activate during the scan including the screensaver.
Temporarily disable your anti-virus and real-time anti-spyware protection.
After starting the scan, do not use the computer until the scan has completed.
When finished, re-enable your anti-virus/anti-malware (or reboot) and then you can reconnect to the Internet.
  • Extract RootRepeal.exe from the zip archive.
  • Open Posted Image on your desktop.
  • At the top of the window, click Settings, then Options.
  • Click the Ssdt & Shadow Ssdt Tab.
  • Make sure the box next to "Only display hooked functions." is checked.
  • Click the "X" in the top right corner of the Settings window to close it.
  • Click the Posted Image tab.
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • Check all seven boxes: Posted Image
  • Push Ok
  • Check the box for your main system drive (Usually C:), and press Ok.
  • Allow RootRepeal to run a scan of your system. This may take some time.
  • Once the scan completes, push the Posted Image button. Save the log to your desktop, using a distinctive name, such as RootRepeal.txt. Include this report in your next reply, please.
~Blade

In your next reply, please include the following:
RootRepeal log

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#6 pleaselucky

pleaselucky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2009 - 09:32 PM

Hey there Blade
Thanks for checking out the log and taking care of my computer

Here's the RootRepeal Log
Please reply if there are anymore problems

ROOTREPEAL © AD, 2007-2009
==================================================
Scan Start Time: 2009/08/24 12:26
Program Version: Version 1.3.5.0
Windows Version: Windows XP SP2
==================================================

Drivers
-------------------
Name: dump_atapi.sys
Image Path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\dump_atapi.sys
Address: 0xB783D000 Size: 98304 File Visible: No Signed: -

Name: dump_WMILIB.SYS
Image Path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\dump_WMILIB.SYS
Address: 0xF79B1000 Size: 8192 File Visible: No Signed: -

Name: ikti.sys
Image Path: ikti.sys
Address: 0xF75F7000 Size: 61440 File Visible: No Signed: -

Name: rootrepeal.sys
Image Path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\rootrepeal.sys
Address: 0xB2BE1000 Size: 49152 File Visible: No Signed: -

Hidden/Locked Files
-------------------
Path: C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.3\data\global\pgstat.stat

==EOF==

#7 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2009 - 09:40 PM

Rerun MBAM like this:

Open MBAM in normal mode and click Update tab, select Check for Updates,when done
click Scanner tab,select Quick scan and scan.
After scan click Remove Selected, post the new scan log here, and Reboot

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#8 pleaselucky

pleaselucky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2009 - 10:19 PM

This is the new scan log.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.40
Database version: 2685
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

24/08/2009 1:15:41 PM
mbam-log-2009-08-24 (13-15-41).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 96799
Time elapsed: 6 minute(s), 6 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 2

Memory Processes Infected:

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\Temp\tempo-28531156.tmp (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp\tmp98.tmp (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

#9 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2009 - 04:56 PM

Alright I think you're fine but I'd like to run one other rootkit scanner to double check.

Please download gmer.zip and save to your desktop.
  • Extract (unzip) the file to its own folder such as C:\Gmer. (Click here for information on how to do this if not sure.)
  • Disconnect from the Internet and close all running programs.
  • Temporarily disable any real-time active protection so your security program drivers will not conflict with gmer's driver.
  • Click on this link to see a list of programs that should be disabled.
  • Double-click on gmer.exe to start the program.
  • Allow the gmer.sys driver to load if asked.
  • You may be prompted to scan immediately if GMER detects rootkit activity.
  • If you are prompted to scan your system click "Yes" to begin the scan.
  • If not prompted, click the "Rootkit/Malware" tab.
  • On the right-side, all items to be scanned should be checked by default except for "Show All". Leave that box unchecked.
  • Select all drives that are connected to your system to be scanned.
  • Click the Scan button to begin. (Please be patient as it can take some time to complete)
  • When the scan is finished, click Save to save the scan results to your Desktop.
  • Save the file as gmer.log and copy/paste the contents in your next reply.
  • Exit GMER and re-enable all active protection when done.
~Blade

In your next reply, please include the following:
GMER log

Posted Image

Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users