Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help with erasing data

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kairi2

kairi2

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 23 August 2009 - 02:42 PM

I have a new Sony Vaio CS118 that I am selling, however I need to have the data overwritten or erased. I have found a program called "Eraser" but as far as I can tell, that will only work with data that hasn't been deleted yet. I deleted everything already. What would you guys recommend?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Delta16

Delta16

• Members
  • 417 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 23 August 2009 - 02:51 PM

Please, can you explain in more detail, thanks

Delta

#3 kairi2

kairi2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2009 - 03:35 PM

I'm not sure what other information you need. I want a good program (preferably free) that will wipe data on your harddrive. With Eraser, you have to choose your files and then it will overwrite them for you. I have already deleted the files so I don't have access to them. Problem is I just deleted them regularly through Recycle Bin.. I need something that can permanently erase them.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2009 - 03:49 PM

Killdisk
http://www.killdisk.com/downloadfree.htm

Be careful you don't wipe out the recovery partition

Edited by garmanma, 23 August 2009 - 03:50 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2009 - 09:00 PM

It's not clear if you want to wipe the whole drive clean (includes your data, registry, program settings you made, all programs you have, most recent file use, your favourites, cookies, etc), OR, as I gather garmanma thinks - just your data and leave the system recovery intact.

To wipe the whole drive so nothing is left, no system, no trace, nothing, DBAN is it
http://www.dban.org/
It takes hours for all the military standard passes, so a desktop fan makes sense to have on hand :thumbsup:

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 25 August 2009 - 09:58 AM

Either of the two applications will do a good job, as far as what it was designed for. Short of taking a torch to the hdd there are forensic techniques using an electron microscope that can retrieve information. Unless this information is very sensitive I would just overwrite it once and let it go at that.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users