Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer freeze up

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 dvs

dvs

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 23 August 2009 - 02:34 PM

Dell Latitude D610 laptop
Windows XP professional

Computer has been freezing up about every 10 minutes after start up. I keep hitting the "kill switch" and restarting.
Sometimes on restart the Caps Lock light (A) flashes and then the computer shuts down before ever really starting up.
Sometimes the computer restarts -- only to freeze again in 10 mins.
Tried running Kaspersky and Malwarebytes complete scans, but computer freezes before finishing -- after about 1-5% or 10 minutes.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 23 August 2009 - 06:22 PM

Have a look in the Event Viewer for any errors at the time of the freezes.

To open the Event Viewer go to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer. Alternately, go to Start > Run and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

Check in all the categories.

If you find an error that occurred at the time right-click on it and select properties. Copy the information in the window and post it back here.

How To Use the Event Viewer
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 dvs

dvs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2009 - 06:45 PM

ok, here are some errors from Event Viewer...

Rejected Safe Mode action : Microsoft Office Word.

Faulting application winword.exe, version 11.0.6502.0, stamp 424d964d, faulting module winword.exe, version 11.0.6502.0, stamp 424d964d, debug? 0, fault address 0x0003da8c.

#4 dvs

dvs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2009 - 06:49 PM

a couple more errors///

Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection : The adapter has returned an invalid value to the driver.

Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection : The adapter has detected an Adapter Check as a result of some unrecoverable hardware of software error. Please contact your service provider.

thx

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2009 - 06:50 PM

Do these problems always occur when you are using Microsoft Word?

This type of behaviour is often caused by your computer overheating. You can check your system temperatures with SpeedFan, which should give you an indication of whether your system is running too hot.

Also, I would recommend that you open your computer case and make sure all the fans are spinning okay and that there isn't an excessive amount of dust in there that would impede air flow. See the following Bleeping Computer tutorial for guidance on cleaning inside your computer.

Cleaning the Interior of your PC
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 23 August 2009 - 08:35 PM

As Budapest said. Heat kills.

I see this is a laptop. What type of surface do you use it on. Any soft surface, bed, couch, pillow, your lap, carpet is usually a no-no. This will block the air intake and exhaust usually leading to over heating.

#7 dvs

dvs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2009 - 08:19 AM

I think you guys are right about the heat problem. When I put the laptop right next to my air conditioner, it doesn't freeze up.
Now, I have had this laptop for 4 years and never a problem like this. The only thing that may have been a factor recently was I spent a week on a boat where it was salty air and humid. Otherwise, any ideas about a cause and solution?

thx,
David

#8 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2009 - 08:27 AM

Have you installed any new programs that may have add`d themselves at start-up?

Are you sure you are malware free?

If you are infected, the running process(s) can strain hardware, in particular the processor, hardware and memory. All of which add to the heat build-up. In the confined area of a laptop this becomes very critical.

#9 dvs

dvs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2009 - 08:41 AM

I haven't added any new programs recently. Not 100% sure I am malware free. I have Kaspersky protection running all the time. Ran Malwarebytes' antimalware scan yesterday -- it found 2 Koobface things and I quarantined and removed.

Attaching screenshot of my current processes running.

d

Attached Files

Edited by dvs, 24 August 2009 - 08:43 AM.

#10 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2009 - 10:01 AM

-- it found 2 Koobface things and I quarantined and removed.

At this point I would suggest you post READ and HERE so we can totally rule out any further or other infection(s).

#11 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2009 - 04:08 PM

Get a can of compressed air and blow out all the vents on the computer.

—George Bernard Shaw

#12 dvs

dvs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2009 - 02:19 PM

Blew out the vents with compressed air.
I can hear the fan running but the screen freeze up still happens -- unless the laptop is right next to my air conditioner.

Any new ideas?

Thanks for help.

David

#13 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2009 - 05:37 PM

If you are sure it's overheating you are going to have to open up the case and give it a clean. You could take it to a repair shop if you are not comfortable doing this yourself.

—George Bernard Shaw

#14 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2009 - 06:03 PM

If you are sure the over heating is from poor air circulation or a bad fan.

#15 dvs

dvs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2009 - 08:40 PM

Well, I haven't had a response over in the infection thread topic http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...=252030&hl=
So, I guess it is hardware-related...

d

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users