Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using Firefox

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 snoopsmom

snoopsmom

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 19 July 2005 - 08:13 AM

Hi! I'm relatively new at this, but I have a question. I have a cable connection currently using IE. I am thinking of trying Firefox due to the number of articles saying that it is safer than IE. My question is that if I use Firefox, is IE still "open" to the Internet due to my always on connection? I know that my automatic downloads occur when my PC is on, even if I'm not actively on the Internet due to the cable connection. Do I somehow disable IE? Thanks for your patience with a newbie question!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 19 July 2005 - 08:41 AM

IE won't be "open", until you open it.
In my opinion, Firefox beats IE hands down.
Be sure to check out this post, on Pipelining Firefox?
You should notice an increase in your browser speed.

Here's a link to a post, about some of the extensions, that our members use:
Favorite Firefox Extensions

Link's to some of the available extensions:
Mozilla Update
Extension Room
Firefox Help: Extensions
Clav's Firefox Extensions

If you have any questions, be sure to ask.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 snoopsmom

snoopsmom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2005 - 09:34 AM

Thanks! I believe I'll give Firefox a try.

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2005 - 10:40 AM

You're welcome, snoopsmom.
As I said, if you have any questions about setting it up, or using it, be sure to ask.
A lot of our members use Firefox, and I'm sure somebody will be able to help you out.
Also check out the Web Browsing/Email and Other Internet Applications forum, for any Firefox related entries.
These will probably answer, a lot of you questions.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 19 July 2005 - 12:50 PM

Your internet connexion through your modem should be created by an entirely different application. A browser is merely an interface between you and the internet.
Internet Exporer, to the extent it is used by your Windows operating system, is in that sense, "open," however passively. However, you can certainly use a different default browser, and the Mozilla browsers are certainly some of the best. I have found either to be faster, more secure, and more customizable than IE, and the folks at Mozilla seem able to patch problems in a more timely manner.

Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 19 July 2005 - 09:45 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 rmm55

rmm55

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2005 - 01:30 PM

I use both, they co-exist quite well on the same box. Make sure you keep IE clean for the Windows Updates.
Roy Mel - YourTechOnline technician
roy@no_spam_yourtechonline.com (remove no_spam_)

#7 Keith1

Keith1

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2005 - 04:27 PM

hi - this is just for informational purposes from my recent experience. i recently had a new system built at a local ( highly recommended ) computer shop in my area. The only part they kept from my old computer was my hard disk ( to keep the windows liscense ). the did a " clean wipe " on it and when i got it back, they had installed firefox with a warning not to use ie.

looking in the programs list the description of the ie icon just says - " do not use - UNSAFE " so.. my wife and i are learning to use firefox - and we love it! like i said - this is not an endorsement, just info for everyone from my experience. Keith

#8 snoopsmom

snoopsmom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2005 - 06:31 PM

Hello, all....well, I downloaded Firefox this evening, and it looks great! I'm working now on getting used to it, but it certainly IS a lot faster than IE, and I'm encouraged by the safety feature. Thanks!

#9 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2005 - 11:44 PM

If you haven't checked out the first link, in my first post, about Pipelining Firefox, you need to.
It'll make Firefox even faster.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users