Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

inability to log onto the internet

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 chelsifer

chelsifer

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 23 August 2009 - 01:31 PM

I have bit of a problem:
My wireless connection on my PC running windows XP stopped working a couple of weeks ago. (USB type)
I normally keep my computer running and left on all the time. However I had to shut it down.
when I went to restart my computer the wireless connection icon did not load. So I had to manually start the connection through my network connection list.
Unfortunately I could not access the internet.

I have tried everything from reinstalling the wireless soft ware to even getting a new brand and type of wireless connector. But still the same thing happens.
It shows me that I'm on line and connected to the internet but as soon as I bring up any browser (Explorer, Firefox) it will not load any pages from the internet.
I went to a secured site and it did load, but I can not surf to other sites from there.

Here is a quick list of things that I have tried to reconnect to the net:
1) disabled and re-enabled wireless connection
2) disabled the fire wall and re-enabled the fire wall.
3) I have right clicked over the wireless icon on the task bar and clicked the repair button.
4) I have even trouble shot the connection. It has ran through all of it's routines. It always comes back as fine. (Windows ping)

Does any on know what could be hindering me from surfing the net?

Thank in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 24 August 2009 - 12:15 PM

Hi... See if this fixes your Net issues .

Go to Start ... Run and type in cmd
A dos Window will appear.
Type in the dos window: netsh winsock reset
Click on the enter key.

Reboot your system to complete the process.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 chelsifer

chelsifer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2009 - 05:52 PM

Hello,

I tried that remedy and it did not work?
Is there something else I can do?

Thank you,

Chelsea

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2009 - 08:52 PM

3 Methods of repairing connectivity
METHOD 1

LSP-Fix
Repairs Winsock 2 settings, caused by buggy or improperly-removed Internet software, that result in loss of Internet access
LSP-Fix Home Page
Using LSP-Fix to remove Spyware & Hijackers

METHOD 2

WinSock XP Fix 1.2
It can often cure the problem of lost connections after the removal of Adware components or improper uninstall of firewall applications or other tools that modify the XP network and Winsock settings.
If you encounter connection problems after removing network related software, Adware or after registry clean-up; and all other ways fail, then give WinSock XP Fix a try.
Download WinSock XP Fix 1.2

METHOD 3

Microsoft KB article to reset TCP/IP
One of the components of the Internet connection on your computer is a built-in set of instructions called TCP/IP. TCP/IP can sometimes become corrupted. If you cannot connect to the Internet and you have tried all other methods to resolve the problem, TCP/IP might be causing it.
Because TCP/IP is a core component of Windows, you cannot remove it. However, you can reset TCP/IP to its original state by using the NetShell utility (netsh)
How to reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in Windows XP
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 chelsifer

chelsifer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2009 - 09:10 PM

Thanks for all your help!
Well I have tried everything on this list and it still will not allow me to
access the internet.
what's next? should I just blow up my computer? LOL!

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2009 - 09:42 PM

Yikes I am running out of ideas.
Try this--open control, internet options, connections tab, lan settings, uncheck the box next to "use proxy...."

Go Start > Run > type: "cmd" In the window that appears type: ipconfig /flushdns . Close the command box.

Go Start > Control Panel > Network Connections. Right click on your default connection, usually Local Area Connection or Dial-up Connection if you are using Dial-up, and and choose Properties. Double-click on the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) item. Select the radio button that says "Obtain DNS servers automatically". Reboot. Warning: Some Internet Service Providers need specific DNS settings. You need to make sure that you know if such DNS settings are required before you make this change.

That's all I got. :thumbsup:

#7 Bambo

Bambo

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 01 September 2009 - 05:33 AM

You did not mention router. Try reset, flush ram - check for firmware upgrades. They can act weird sometimes.

#8 chelsifer

chelsifer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2009 - 08:26 PM

How do I reset the flush ram, and check for firmware upgrades?

Thanks you,

Chelsea

#9 Bambo

Bambo

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2009 - 10:16 PM

Probably best to find out what kind of router you have. Then go to website of maker. There will be FAQs, may be a forum, about how to fix a possible tired router. On back or on bottom of router you can see model and revision number.

If you want to flash router be very sure it is done after the book. Do that as last resort.

For now you simple turn power off router, wait 1 min. or so, turn it back on. Resetting is likely done by holding down a button on back, but dont do it until you have been at website. Preferably been told by them to do it. They will since standard procedure when things are ??? Details are required though. And more importantly your own settings, like details about wireless, encryption etc., all that will be gone and you must set it up as if router were brandnew. If someone did that for you there could be a problem. Like you dont know how! Some info, most you need actually, you must know since you have changed wireless adapter. Just that moving from bad to worse is not progress. So only reset if you know how to log in to router and set it up.

Safe enough to power on/off but much more action is up to you. Nothing major really but must be done correctly.

What firewall you have? If a 3rd. party one does it have a default/reset option - uninstall also? :thumbsup: Actually also look at the one in Windows if that is what you use.

Wireless software is latest version direct from website? Not old from a cd? If you set up software wrong, like using wrong encryption you should not be able to appear connected or even browse a secured site. 2 software packages for 2 dif. adapters dont work? Not so likely - smells more like a Windows problem. XP does have ability to set up wireless without that software? I think it has. So you could try uninstall and use build-in wireless from XP. Initializing build-in wireless might kickstart or magically fix something, or not - trial and error.

If stuck find that forum dealing with router brand. If not on makers site then try http://www.dslreports.com/forums/all They are used to such problems, diagnosing them properly too, so aware of weird issues. Give them all details of brand, model number - what you have been doing up to now. May be obvious once you find solution, oh I just changed usb port!, may be only make sense to connection-geeks.

Edited by Bambo, 06 September 2009 - 10:22 PM.

#10 chelsifer

chelsifer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2009 - 10:07 AM

We have already restarted the router, unplugged it that was a few weeks ago. We have another computer that works fine and connects to the internet with no problems. I believe it might be an issue with the firewall?
there is an after market firewall. The computer runs an outdated version of Norton anti virus. I've tried uninstalling it but it says it need a product code of some sort? The computer used to belong for a company that is no longer in business.
Maybe that could be the problem? How do I get that version of Norton off of my computer?

#11 Bambo

Bambo

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2009 - 11:21 AM

May be best you post in other forum but Norton do have a tool to help remove old products. http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/share...p;src=symsug_us Click "What if I had problems uninstalling?"

Norton Antivirus dont have firewall though? Well you should not run old AV anyhow so dump it. Get something new, there are good free ones. If you need other firewall than in router and Windows there are free ones as well.

You have manual to router? Should be able to log in then, perhaps test if it helps to deactivate routers firewall. Im careful with routers because almost like a mini-Windows. Ive mentioned flashing but forgot to say it should never be done while being wireless. Must use cable. Precise instructions required so why I suggest website of maker if not a dedicated brand forum. There are many issues. 50/50 between Norton and router I think. Make than 45/45, could be something else ;)

Edited by Bambo, 07 September 2009 - 11:32 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users