Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My H/D is choking for free space

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ifask

ifask

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 23 August 2009 - 11:43 AM

History: About two months ago I defragmented my Hard Drive. It had only 35% used space on 40G drive.

About a month ago I received an email with an attachment of one page (I Had asked for it). I could not open this one page attachment, because there was no memory left . I deleted few unwanted files that gave my PC some breathing space but not enough to run defrag again. It required at least 15% empty space to run the program. I ran cleanup programs and transferred some old file to an external hard drive. Thus creating the required space.

When I ran the Defrag. Program, I saw solid Blocks of Red and Blue colors where it should have been empty space. The Defrag program didn't do much. Now it is back to square one, I got a message that computer was low on memory. when I analyzed the hard disk using Defrag program. All the memory I had created earlier had become the part of the red solid block on my hard drive.

I have been searching and reading the forum. I have some idea that my computer has been hacked, but I can not find the solution to this problem. How to clean my HD and stop it from happening again.

Any suggestions and recommendations will be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Desperately seeking help

Ifask

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Delta16

Delta16

• Members
  • 417 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 23 August 2009 - 02:43 PM

A 40 Gb HardDisk is small nowadays (my opinion) but there is a thing you could do. Make a Disk Cleanup.

What operating System are you using?

For now i'll assume that your using XP.

Go to My Computer and right click on the Hard Drive (usually C:) and choose properties.
A small window pops up, click on the button Disk Clean up at the bottom.
When it is done and a new window pops up, tick everything in the "files to delete", then click OK and Choose Yes.

That should free up some space.
Hope that will help you
Delta

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 23 August 2009 - 03:24 PM

Exact error message?

How much RAM installed?

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#4 ifask

ifask
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 23 August 2009 - 05:21 PM

Thanks .

I forgot to put to put the details of my system.

It is windows XP v.2002/SP2.
Processor: AMD Sempron 2400+ 1.67 G, 512 MB Ram
Disk Space: Total 37.2 GB Available: 121 Mb
System Recovery: suspended (due to insufficient memory)

I ran disk cleanup several times I can not get more than 100 Megs.
When I deleted and transferred lots of files from hard drive I created More than 5 GB.
it is all gone in 2 weeks.

In my earlier statement I mentioned that my entire software and system software
was occupying only 35% of the disk space, rest was empty space. Now in defrag program
analysis I see big Solid Red blocks in space where empty room used to be.

The error message I got was ' your computer has not enough memory! Please delete unnecessary files'

I am limited to what I can do, due to lack of memory; I am running out of options fast.

ifask

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users