Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows anti virus pro won't let me access malwarebytes or sbybot

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 spandi

spandi

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 23 August 2009 - 11:34 AM

I used info from this site a few months ago to delete the Windows Virus Pro from my laptop. However, it's back and now it won't let me access Malwarebytes or Spybot to reinstall so I can delete it. Last time it worked like a charm - is there an easy "non-techie" way to tell me what to do? I have to have specific instructions or I am lost. Appreciate any and all suggestions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2009 - 05:49 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Please subscribe to your topic so that you will be notified as soon as I post a reply, instead of you having to check the topic all of the time. This will allow you to get an email notification when I reply.

To subscribe, go to your topic, and at the top right hand corner by your first post, click the Options button and then click Track this topic. The bullet the immediate notification bubble. Then press submit.

let's try Fatdcuk's fix to get Malwarebytes to work.

Please navigate to the MBAM folder located in the Program Files directory.

Locate MBAM.exe and rename it to winlogon.exe

Once renamed double click on the file to open MBAM and select Quick Scan

At the end of the scan click Remove Selected and then reboot.

Post the scan log. The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.
Computer Pro

#3 spandi

spandi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2009 - 07:49 PM

How would I get to the program files directory? Not knowing what else to do and wanting to try something, I right clicked the Malwarebytes icon and then went to properties and changed it as suggested. It still won't do anything and now I can't remember what the original title of it was - it also changed my icon from the standard Malwarebytes icon to a window with stars and a moon in it. Do I have to do any of this in "safe mode"?
This is so frustrating.

#4 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2009 - 08:46 PM

The Program Files directory can be found from My Computer. Go to C:, then Program Files
Computer Pro

#5 spandi

spandi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2009 - 08:22 AM

Thank you. Changed it, still no luck.

#6 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2009 - 05:38 PM

Alright, RootRepeal time:

Please install RootRepeal

Go HERE, and download RootRepeal.zip to your Desktop.
Tutorial with images ,if needed >> L@@K
Unzip that to your Desktop and then click RootRepeal.exe to open the scanner.

*Open the folder and double-click on RootRepeal.exe to launch it. If using Vista, right-click and Run as Administrator...
* Click on the FILES tab, then click the Scan button.
* In the Select Drives, dialog Please select drives to scan: select all drives showing, then click OK.
* When the scan has completed, a list of files will be generated in the RootRepeal window.
* Click on the Save Report button and save it as rootrepeal.txt to your desktop or the same location where you ran the tool from.
* Open rootrepeal.txt in Notepad and copy/paste its contents in your next reply.
* Exit RootRepeal and be sure to re-enable your anti-virus, Firewall and any other security programs you had disabled.

Please note: If Rootrepeal fails to run, try this step: Click Settings - Options. Set the Disk Access slider to High

Note 2: If RootRepeal cannot complete a scan and results in a crash report, try repeating the scan in "Safe Mode".
Computer Pro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users