Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why is Combofix doing this?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 Mystique1508

Mystique1508

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 23 August 2009 - 11:32 AM

Hi
I've used Combofix successfully on 3 of my computers, one being a desktop and the other 2 are laptops.
However, I have used Combofix on 2 times on my cousin's laptop over the past 3 days. Both times, Combofix seems to be erasing critical Windows files which then completely render internet connection useless as well as most Windows Control Panel programs.
The only way I can get Windows and the laptop to work properly again, is by restoring back to a restore point saved, prior to running Combofix.
I do have a copy of the Combofix log saved from the last run of Combofix. I ran Combofix because of a problem with 'Personal Anti-virus'.
Do you have any suggestions/solutions to this problem as to why Combofix is doing this?
Many thanx for any help you can give....
Sincerely,
Mystique1508
p.s.
I've run Avanquest, super anti spyware, AVG 8.0, spybot search and destroy, malware bytes, then combo fix.
I have both logs from both combo fix runs. when I transported the log from my cousins laptop DMAILER piggybacked along with it to the usb flash drive.
I hope this might also help with the solution.

Edited by Mystique1508, 23 August 2009 - 12:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_The weatherman_*

Guest_The weatherman_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 23 August 2009 - 01:28 PM

Hello Mystique1508,

Please note the message text in blue at the top of this forum.

ComboFix is an extremely powerful tool which should only be used when instructed to do so by someone who has been properly trained. ComboFix is intended by its creator to be "used under the guidance and supervision of an expert", NOT for private use. Please read Combofix's Disclaimer. Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again.

Please create a new topic explaining the nature of your problem in the Am I infected? What do I do? forum. Describe pop-ups and system tray or desktop icons that have appeared. Explain what is "going wrong" with your computer. Note any tools you have used and their respective results.

If needed, we will direct you to our HJT Preparation Guide.

Regards,

The weatherman

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users