Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphic card and automatic updates conflict

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 FX Moon

FX Moon

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 23 August 2009 - 10:44 AM

I've had a huge problem with my Dell Dimension 4550 desktop flashing black then freezing entirely inside of a minute. I spent the last 5 days trying every spyware, malware, whateverware there is with no effect. So I reinstalled XP and the same thing happens. So I think it may be a bad graphics card. However, I just spoke to someone at a local geek store, who said that the Windows Automatic Updates can download and install drivers that conflict with some graphic gards - I have a GeForce 6600.

Is anybody familiar with this, or does anyone have additional info that may be helpful?

Thanks,

F.X. Moon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 23 August 2009 - 10:49 AM

I have to agree with with what you were told. I also ran into an issue with the current MS release of the Nvidia driver. Got lazy instaed of doing the right thing. Go HERE. Use the drop down menus to choose the right card and OS.

See if this does`t solve your problem.

#3 FX Moon

FX Moon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2009 - 10:50 AM

BTW, I forgot to add that the machine works fine in Safe mode - the display is extremely slow (scrolling on web pages for example), but I think that's a side effect of either the conflict or a damaged graphic card.

I don't know why it works OK in Safe mode. Any thoughts on that?

#4 FX Moon

FX Moon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2009 - 10:57 AM

I had already gone here and downloaded and installed this driver (http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_190.62_whql.html), so I think I got the right one. But, if anything, it made the problem worse.

One thing of interest - I had an old XP disk, so it re-installed up through SP1. I also didn't have the right driver at that time, so Device Manager had a question mark for the video card, but it worked (same problem with slowness). But I never got the flashing and freezing until after I installed SP3 and the Auto Updates.

I'll probably restore back to the post SP3, pre Auto updates and see if it seems to work OK. That would most likely tell me it's a function of the Auto Updates.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,544 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 23 August 2009 - 11:00 AM

Only the most basic drivers load in safe mode.

Which probably means that one of your drivers is damaged and needs to be replaced.

I would remove the graphics drivers, reboot...and then reinstall same.

Louis

#6 FX Moon

FX Moon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2009 - 11:08 AM

>>>I would remove the graphics drivers, reboot...and then reinstall same.<<<

The problem is that I can't in Normal mode right now. It locks up way before I can get that far.

Originally, when I installed the "correct" driver listed in the previous message, I was in normal mode because it had been working OK up until then.

After I restore to SP1 (without the correct driver), I'll first confirm that it doesn't lock up. Then I'll add the correct driver still in SP1 and see if it still works.

Then I'll update to SP3 and check that.

Then I'll get the latest updates.

Between all those, I should be able to find where it happens.

Thanks!!

#7 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 23 August 2009 - 08:22 PM

Just make sure you do not choose the Nvidia video driver under that option from the MS site.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users