Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NTFS partition recovery

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rmahn

rmahn

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 23 August 2009 - 10:17 AM

What tools are available and what can I do to try to recover the files from an NTFS partition?

Somehow my partition got clobbered and disappeared. I know the data is still there, but am not sure how to get it (or even if it can be done). I don't recall all the events, but I was trying to create a bootable USB thumbdrive using Miles Comer's HPUSBFW.EXE. I didn't notice any problems at the time, although I wasn't checking other disks. Some time later I needed some files from my large USB disk and when I looked at windows explorer it wasn't there. Eventually I noticed that the label had been changed to one of the standard names and the system claimed it was unformatted. I'm not at all sure that HPUSBFW was how this happened, but that's about the only unusual thing I did during that time (as best I remember).

I switched to linux (f11) and noticed that the partition type was changed from 7 (ntfs) to c (fat32). Linux didn't recognize the filesystem on the partition. I changed the type back to 7 and it didn't do any good.

I don't know how data is stored in NTFS systems, or whether it is possible to splice pieces from another NTFS partition to get back what was there. This is a data disk only. (It contains all my backups and other important things).

My first step is to make an image copy of the disk. That will take a while, but will allow me to try various things.

I'm pretty competent in linux, but my Windows knowledge is limited.

Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,553 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 23 August 2009 - 10:55 AM

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sou...mp;oq=&aqi=

Louis

#3 rmahn

rmahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2009 - 05:36 PM

I see a product from DiskInternals called NTFS data recovery. It runs $100. The web pages make claims that it does what I need, and if it really does, it would be worth the cost. Does anyone have any experience with this product?

rich

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,553 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2009 - 06:28 PM

If you are willing to pay for a product...I suggest trying GetDataBack - Data Recovery Software - http://runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm

Louis

#5 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 23 August 2009 - 10:44 PM

If all that's up is that the partition table go messed up, then give TestDisk a shot. It's free and does a great job of detecting and re-writing partition tables.

It's included in the default setup for the Ultimate Boot CD for Windows.

#6 rmahn

rmahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2009 - 04:04 PM

I tried the GetDataBack for NTFS and it worked great!! $80 and free upgrades forever. I ran into a couple problems with the interface that I reported back to runtime.org. They don't give disk identification or partition identification on the selection screen. When you have identical external disks, or even just the same size, there is no way to know which is which. Same for partitions. I recommended they add manufacturer, model, and serial number for drives, and add disk letter (c:, i:, or whatever) and label for partitions. Other than that, a fantastic product.

#7 rmahn

rmahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2009 - 04:08 PM

If all that's up is that the partition table go messed up, then give TestDisk a shot. It's free and does a great job of detecting and re-writing partition tables.

It's included in the default setup for the Ultimate Boot CD for Windows.

Wasn't that easy. The partition table was correct except for the partition type (e instead of 7, if I recall). I think a FAT32 format had started running on the partition. Anyway, it's all okay now.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,553 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2009 - 04:50 PM

GDB works well for me also...glad you solved it, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users