Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help exchanging hard drives plz

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ToothlessWonder

ToothlessWonder

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 19 July 2005 - 04:37 AM

The game i play just did a massive graphics update. The comp i normally play on has a graphics card that wont support directx9.0c.

What I want to try doing is putting this hard drive (since it has my game files on it) into my other computer which has a graphics card that will support directx9.0. Can't put the card in this computer cause it's a diff connector or whatever.

The hard drive I'm trying to put in the other comp is running windows XP while the one i'm trying to replace has windows 2000 running. I've tried this once but it would restart every time it got to the "loading windows XP" stage of the boot up.

Am i doing something wrong? Do i have to reformat the hard drive to put it in that computer? If so I'll just have to wait 2 weeks till payday to get a graphics card for this computer.

BTW I cant run both computers to trade info from one to the other because i had to exchange the power supply's " the one in this comp blew up or something.

Any help would be appreciated even if it's to tell me this process is not possible w/o losing my game info on this hard drive.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 19 July 2005 - 05:32 AM

If the hardware on the PC's is totally different you'll need to do a repair install on XP for it to load. I've just had to do this at work as I've swapped hdd's in 2 PC's.

Repair Install make sure you know what your serial is.

Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder use to locate your XP serial.

Edited by stidyup, 19 July 2005 - 05:32 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users