Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer stalling when running large App's

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Ynse

Ynse

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 19 July 2005 - 03:32 AM

Hello to all. Here's my problem.
I use Windows XP professional version 2002 with S.P 2.
The system runs on a AMD Athlon XP 1800+ clock speed at 1.54 GHz and a Kingston 512 MB Ram, attached to an ASUS A7N8X DeLuxe mother board with Nvidia sound and video cards Nforce and Gforce (sorry but i cant give you the specs on these, hope no one will need them)
When i try to run /install large programs such as 3D games or scanning programs my computer stalls for no apparent reason, everything stops functioning and i'm forced to turn my pc off with the off switch, which can never be a good thing.
I have formatted my HD ones because i thought it was a software problem. After this the computer started stalling on small apps. When i try to listen to music and watch my photo's it stalls.
The next thing i tried was putting in a second harddrive, thinking it was a problem with the first. When booting from this drive the same thing happened. Maybe the problem was Windows after all so i tried a completely different OS, SuSe by Linux, it did zip, nadda. Although the system is running with all correct drivers, i have a strong feeling the problem started with a windows update. I have read just about every question about this in fora around the net, and the only useful info i can find is about the temperature of the processor.
It seems Athlon processors have this problem when they get to warm, however the maximum working temp. for the Athlon 1800 XP+ is 90 degrees Celsius.
When looking in the bios it says that the temperature is 63 degrees Celsius. MBM5 (motherboard monitor 5) gives a temperature of between 46/53 degrees Celsius, so no real help here. Has anyone had such a problem, and what did you do to correct it. Please remember that i'm a newbie / cluebie, although i know a little about what i'm doing it's still difficult material to dig in too. thanks for the help :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 19 July 2005 - 03:54 AM

512MB of RAM isn't that much if your playing games, you might want to try increasing you RAM, 1GB of RAM is beginning to be recognized as the optimal amount to have for gaming.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Ynse

Ynse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2005 - 04:06 AM

I had a second card installed a 256 MB but had it removed because one of my friens said it could be a conflicting situation. Should i reinstall it ?
The game i try to run is World of Warcraft and i'm well over the required settings. But what about stalling on small apps. for instance i have Itunes installed because the streams are great but it even stalls on that. I will try to reinstall the other card and see what it does. Thanks for the reply. greetz Ynse

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2005 - 08:48 AM

The only way that it could be conflicting would be if there is a compatiblity issue between the old and new memory modules. Most all gaming and videos take lots of memory, try it and let us know if it impoves your performance. If you don't know what kind of RAM you have in there now and what you are going to install, down load the following program and go to motherboard, then SPD. This will desplay all the specs on your modules installed, and unless it's some ubscure brand it will ID the manufactuteralso.

http://www.snapfiles.com/download/dleverest.html

Edited by dc3, 19 July 2005 - 08:49 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Ynse

Ynse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2005 - 01:08 PM

thanks for this nifty program dc3, but what do i do with it ? please let me know untill then i will translate the program to english, they automaticaly gave me the dutch version
this is the device description.
DIMM2: Samsung M3 68L6423CTL-CB3

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2005 - 11:24 PM

Dutch! Damn...they didn't offer me that version! Sorry about that, what country are you in, mine automatically downloaded in English. And I'm guessing that the Samsung item is one of the modules? What is the other?

#7 Ynse

Ynse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2005 - 12:35 AM

I'm in the flattest country in the world: Holland !!! dont know if the samsung is one of the modules but i will try to post the whole shabang today with the proper translation. I love technical english :thumbsup:

#8 Ynse

Ynse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2005 - 12:56 AM

Field Value
Eigenschappen Geheugenmodule
Modulename Samsung M3 68L6423CTL-CB3
Serial number none
Module size 512 MB (2 rows, 4 banks)
Moduletype Unbuffered
Memory type DDR SDRAM
Memory speed PC2700 (166 Mhz)
Module width 64 bit
Module current SSTL 2.5 not sure about transl. of the word current.
Error detection method None
Refreshfrequenty Reduced (7.8 us), Self-Refresh

Memory settings
@ 166 Mhz 2.5-3-3-7 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)
@ 133 Mhz 2.0-3-3-6 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)

memory module settings ? not sure if transl. is ok
Early RAS# Precharge not supported
Auto-Precharge not supported
Precharge All not supported
Write1/Read Burst not supported
Buffered Address/Control Inputs not supported
Registered Address/Control Inputs not supported
On-Card PLL (Clock) not supported
Buffered DQMB Inputs not supported
Registered DQMB Inputs not supported
Differential Clock Input supported
Redundant Row Address not supported

memory module manufacturer
company name Samsung
Productinformation http://www.samsung.com/Products/Semiconductor/DRAM/index.htm

well here it is. this comes from the motherboard section under the icon of SPD. hope this will help a little if you want more of Everest home just let me know. :thumbsup: thanks. Ynse (if a hijack log is of any help i could post one)
(new edit) I just put in the other memory card (256 MB) and the problem is still there. temperature at 68/69 degrees Celcius

Edited by Ynse, 20 July 2005 - 03:33 AM.

#9 Ynse

Ynse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2005 - 10:38 AM

I got as far as running multiple small apps and even then its reasonably unstable.
Big apps still big problems, could a hijack do any good of course posted in the proper section.

#10 Ynse

Ynse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2005 - 03:39 PM

problem solved it was a faulty temperature sensor, is fixed and the problem is gone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users