Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Viruses and Malware sneaking through

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Bull

Tom Bull

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 23 August 2009 - 07:49 AM

I am a computer technician and am noticing a return of a variety of malware and viruses sneaking through valid protection; Norton, McAfee, Trend, etc. It doesn't seem to matter. I had a similar flood of trouble about 6 months ago, but it went away...it's back. Usually, a "cocktail" of HJT, Malwarebytes and Ccleaner will do the trick, but sometimes I can't even run ComboFix or HJT. I've had to reload 2 systems in the past 24 hours and have a 3rd one I'm working on now.

I want to try and figure out how to get something to run on it. So far, I've taken the drive out and made it a slave to another system and scanned with NAV; found and removed 17 infections, but still cannot run HJT. I also ran Malwarebytes on it and AVG 8.5 for good measure. I've tried running the system in Safe Mode and renaming Malwarebytes, but still no good.

Is anyone else seeing an increase of infected systems? If so, can you share your solutions?

EDIT: Moved to more appropriate forum

Edited by garmanma, 23 August 2009 - 10:07 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2009 - 08:08 AM

What are some of the infections that you're seeing on these machines that you're having to reload?

That might give us a clue as to where to point you.

Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2009 - 10:53 PM

Is anyone else seeing an increase of infected systems? If so, can you share your solutions?

There's been a rash of practically incurable infections, that block most any antimalware tool, the trained experts are now working on custom solutions. There's no magic bullet, if you suspect the computer is infected with one of these, grab the data and reformat.

If cost and time are no object then surf some of the HJT forums and watch the battle unfold, I have and I know it would be a waste of time for me to try to cure one of these.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#4 Tom Bull

Tom Bull
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2009 - 04:56 PM

Was finally able to arrest these infections. I know at a certain point it does not make sense to clean, and it makes more sense to wipe and reload -- that can be too traumatic for the customer and I won't learn anything. Here's what I found:

Trojan.BHO
Trojan.Zlob.H
Rootkit.Trace
Rogue.ProtectionSystem
PC_Antispyware2010
Backdoor.Bot
Bravia.exe

Thanks for the assist.

#5 Tom Bull

Tom Bull
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2009 - 04:57 PM

If you find out more on any of the new tools, I'd love to hear about them. While I like the business I get when this happens, it's not how I like to make money.

There's been a rash of practically incurable infections, that block most any antimalware tool, the trained experts are now working on custom solutions. There's no magic bullet, if you suspect the computer is infected with one of these, grab the data and reformat.

If cost and time are no object then surf some of the HJT forums and watch the battle unfold, I have and I know it would be a waste of time for me to try to cure one of these.

#6 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 24 August 2009 - 06:40 PM

Any time there is a rootkit or backdoor trojan on the system, even if it is removed, the disk should be reformatted. If it is not, the computer is really not trustworthy and could put your customers finances at risk which would be a lot more traumatic for them than having to format.

#7 yuukanna

yuukanna

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 27 August 2009 - 04:40 PM

I recently got one of these infections on a clients computer... some of what I've seen has baffled me, so I searched online for similar instances happening to others. I found that within the last week or two there has been a flood of people with similar issues and nobody with a good solution.

Now my personal laptop seems to be infected, and the only way I can imagine it got there is that it either traveled on my flash drive or through my Wifi.

I feel a bit overwhelmed. I've tried almost everything I can think of, and the things that seem to help a few out there don't work for me... This isn't a cry for help... just verifying that I've noticed a huge influx of this malware. It sucks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users