Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CCNA Discovery

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 uberdude007

uberdude007

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 22 August 2009 - 11:44 PM

My school (High school) offers a free two-year CCNA Discovery training program. After the program is completed, the school district pays for the students in the program to take the CCNA test at the local community college. I am a junior, starting the first year of the CISCO CCNA Discovery class. I was wondering if the CCNA certification is worth it to maintain after the initial test or if it wouldn't make a difference after the initial certification expires, as well as what jobs I would be more considered for with the certification. Thanks for the info, as this will influence my choice for next year's class.

E.R.J.
The searchbar is your friend...
also, try
Google

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 23 August 2009 - 02:42 AM

If you want to work in networking the CCNA is the place to start. CCNA + a 2 or 4 year computer degree = a VERY bright future. Its alot of info to take in as you'll find out but well worth it. Specially if its free and the school pays to take the CCNA exam. I had to pay for both..lol. I wish you the best of luck. Two bits of advice: 1) Learn IP addressing. It seems easy to start but when you get into blocking IPs with the subnet mask...my mind boggled till I got it wrapped around it. 2) If you learn on actual routers and switches like I did, learn ACLs early....I used to block the other "team" working the second rack of routers...watching them try to figure out why only 1 router had access hehe...thinking of it now makes me smile.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 uberdude007

uberdude007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2009 - 05:56 PM

lol thanks! I'll definitely keep that in mind. I've been thinking about going into network systems administration of some sort...i'd be like...the only nice IT guy I've ever personally met lol. But like...the school is so uptight, they require us to have our own rack, server, switches, routers, etc. and we're isolated from the rest of the building's network.
Kinda funny.

Also, I lol'd at your comment about blocking the other "team" working on the routers.
:thumbsup:
I'll probably go to UNO or UNL, unless I get a good scholarship somewhere else...any recommendations as far as colleges for a high school junior? Also, ACT, SAT, or both?
I should have taken the PSAT last year...just another thing to tack on my list of things to do...
Oh well...I know people who have gotten perfect scores on the ACT, I'll take some lessons from them.
also, try
Google

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 23 August 2009 - 07:23 PM

Networking questions I can answer. Where you should go to get an education is WAY beyond my skill set. But even if its a PITA, getting an education is a really good idea. I wish ya the best of luck =)

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 uberdude007

uberdude007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2009 - 08:02 PM

Thanks man. I have some previous experience, helping relatives and neighbors with various network and computer issues, but have always wanted to take a step to further my education. Currently, all of my skills are self-learned.
also, try
Google

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users