Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2 hdd's, 2 operating systems

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bgclevenger

bgclevenger

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 22 August 2009 - 09:59 PM

not sure if this is the right place for this post...if not, sorry.

i have a system up and running with windows 7 rc on my c: drive. i salvaged and installed a 2nd hd from another system which has windows xp installed, and is recognized as an e: drive. i can change the bios to boot from this 2nd hd and windows xp loads, but is unresponsive to my wireless keyboard and mouse, which uses a receiver plugged into a usb port. can i boot into my windows 7 and install my kb/mouse drivers onto the 2nd drive so that i can use them when i boot into xp? thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 23 August 2009 - 08:43 AM

If you are asking can O/S 1 install drivers for O/S2...the answer is no. The files can be put in place but the registry settings will be lacking.

The mouse and keyboard...are automatically recognized and drivers installed by Windows...upon boot.

As for using wireless devices...the manufacturer's instructions for installing said products...govern.

I don't do wireless anything...but it might be worthwhile to try an ordinary mouse/keyboard...then install the drivers for the wireless devices, uninstall the normal keyboard/mouse drivers...shut down. Attach the wireless devices and see if the wireless drivers now work for the wireless devices.

Louis

#3 bgclevenger

bgclevenger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 23 August 2009 - 09:16 AM

thanks for the response louis. i was afraid i'd have to use a regular, wired keyboard and mouse to get into the 2nd os. problem is, i don't have them and hate to buy something only to use it for 2 minutes. guess i'll borrow something from work or a friend.

#4 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2009 - 09:32 AM

Did your wireless mouse and keyboard come with an installation disk or are they strictly "Plug and Play"? I would think that if XP opens on the 2nd HD than you should be able to install drivers from the installation disk one way or another unless I totally mis-understand your issue (which may be the case)...
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2009 - 10:17 AM

I understand what you want to do........I think.

You want to use only the wireless mouse and keyboard right from the start. When booting up you want to be able to choose which OS\HDD to boot from with your wireless.

Sorry, to the best of my knowledge this is not possible. When choosing which OS\HDD to boot from you are still in the motherboard BIOS. No amount of drivers are going to help since at this point the BIOS are basically the OS and, I, do not know of any that support wireless mice or keyboards.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users