Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New hardware won't boot from disk

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Spuddz

Spuddz

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 22 August 2009 - 08:11 PM

Hello. I just upgraded my mother's computer by putting in my old motherboard and a new Western Digital hard drive. When I try to turn it on and boot from the XP disk to install it just repeats the message: reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key. I have tried doing what it says and made sure the boot priority was in order in the BIOS but nothing is working. I have also tried using a different CD/DVD drive that is SATA instead of IDE and that did not fix the problem. I have also switched out cables. PLEASE HELP!

Edit: here is the link to the motherboard specs http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...product=3644734

Edited by Spuddz, 22 August 2009 - 08:41 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 l33tissw00t

l33tissw00t

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 22 August 2009 - 08:19 PM

Hello. I just upgraded my mother's computer by putting in my old motherboard and a new Western Digital hard drive. When I try to turn it on and boot from the XP disk to install it just repeats the message: reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key. I have tried doing what it says and made sure the boot priority was in order in the BIOS but nothing is working. I have also tried using a different CD/DVD drive that is SATA instead of IDE and that did not fix the problem. I have also switched out cables. PLEASE HELP!

I'm assuming you knew what you were doing inside the PC.. so, did you make sure bios settings were correct? (not just boot order)

#3 Spuddz

Spuddz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2009 - 08:22 PM

Yup everything seems right...Also to add on..this motherboard is from a manufactured computer...

#4 l33tissw00t

l33tissw00t

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2009 - 08:27 PM

Yup everything seems right...Also to add on..this motherboard is from a manufactured computer...

It's probably not what I'm thinking.. but - what model MB and HD is it?

#5 Spuddz

Spuddz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2009 - 08:58 PM

Motherboard is now posted on my original post.

#6 l33tissw00t

l33tissw00t

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2009 - 08:59 PM

Is latest bios firmware installed?

#7 Spuddz

Spuddz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2009 - 09:01 PM

i wouldnt be able to anyways...

#8 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2009 - 09:19 PM

In order to update the BIOS a CD or other removable media must be connected. I know you've changed your boot order, have you removed all other devices from the boot order except the optical drive?

3939.png

#9 Spuddz

Spuddz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2009 - 09:25 PM

Yes i have.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users