Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't share a printer with a netbook wirelessly

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 dcrane

dcrane

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 22 August 2009 - 07:28 PM

Desktop is Dell Win XP Home Premium.
Netbook is HP Mini 1151NR from Verizon w/XP Home (limited version).

Everything is connected wirelessly on a 802.11g home network via Linksys WRT54G2 router. Nothing is hard-wired. (Well, the router is hard-wired to the cable modem.) There are no firewalls active.

Both the Dell and the netbook successfully connect to the Internet. Print and file sharing is set in both. Workgroup name on both is BOYFRIEND. I found a note on another forum describing my problem precisely that said Linksys routers often use NetBUIE or IPX/SPX for internal networks, so I installed both protocols on both computers. It didn't solve the problem, but that's when the Dell first saw the netbook it the workgroup. The current situation is:

Dell can ping itself, but not the netbook. Netbook cannot ping itself or the Dell. Dell shows itself and netbook in the same workgroup, but cannot access files on the netbook. Netbook shows nothing in workgroup BOYFRIEND, not even itself. In other words, after spinning a while, it says it can't access workgroup Boyfriend. "You might not have permissions to use this network resource." I repeat, there are no firewalls active.

It appears to me that the netbook isn't accessible from the network. Why not? No evidence of any firewall other than the Windows firewall. Network acts the same with and without those firewalls active on both machines.

This is a brand new netbook. We haven't added any firewalls and there is nothing in the documentation or control panel to suggest the software is anything but a standard version of XP Home.

What do I try next?

Edited by dcrane, 22 August 2009 - 07:30 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 22 August 2009 - 08:16 PM

Try turning on the guest account on both. In the Control Panel look for User Groups, double click on it and click the button to turn them on. I normally reboot.

IPX/SPX are for Novell, you can uninstall them.

If the guest account thing doesn't work, on both click Start -> click Run -> type CMD and hit enter. In the black window, type ipconfig /all and hit enter. Post what both list.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users