Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WinXP Processes: 6 instances of svchost.exe running - Why?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mike T

Mike T

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 22 August 2009 - 07:11 PM

I've attached a screen capture of processes displayed in WinXP's Task Manager. My computer works fine, I'm just curious why I have 6 instances of svchost.exe running. Can someone give me a brief rundown on the differences between the "System", "Local" and "Network" instances shown, and what they do? I can maintain my computers fairly well, wipe /reinstall software and upgrade hardware, but I'm fairly clueless on the system/software aspect of computers.

Thanks!

Mike

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2009 - 08:26 PM

How to determine what services are running under a SVCHOST.EXE process - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/list-services-running-under-svchost.exe-process/

It's not unusual to have 6 running, I have 8 right now and I know that all are OK.

Louis

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 22 August 2009 - 09:05 PM

Ah, the good ol' svhost.exe! My favorite completely unhelpful process name.

The svhost.exe is also called the Generic Host Process for Win32 Services. I know, helpful, huh?

What these processes do is host other programs inside of them. Generally, these programs are service applications that need to run in the background to provide "services" to other applications. One example is the Windows Audio service, which provides a method for applications to play sounds through the Windows API. Or the DHCP Client Service that allows your computer to automatically get an IP address from your router.

So, as you can see, a lot of useful and necessary services get hosted inside these svhost's. That being said, not everything that can be inside svhost is helpful, necessary, or safe. Many malicious programs install themselves as a service. Many, many, many legit software vendors like to install their own services like updaters and quicklaunchers (I'm looking at YOU Java) that are completely and utterly without purpose or justification.

To see what services are running, go to Start->Run.. and type services.msc then click ok. From this MMC snap-in you can see which services are currently running, which are disabled, which will start up "on demand" and so forth. you can also start/stop services and change their startup behavior. Unless you know precisely what a particular service does, though, leave it alone.

#4 Mike T

Mike T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2009 - 10:34 PM

Hamluis & Andrew: Thanks for the info and links. Everything is running smoothly, but I ran the Tasklist via command prompt for S's & G's. Lists quite a few services - some familiar to me/some not. More work than I care for right now to figure it all out, but I'll add this to my list of things to do!

I manage/maintain 3 computers at home, and have somehow kept them up and running (few viral/malware incidents) for numerous years. I attribute this in part to being vigilent, but mostly to instilling a healthy dose of paranoia in my wife and kids...

Thanks for your time!

Mike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users