Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet will not work anymore on my HP laptop

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 hplap2006

hplap2006

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 22 August 2009 - 06:28 PM

Hello all, I'm very new to the board so I hope I placed this topic in the right forum:

For some reason, I cannot connect to the internet anymore on my hp laptop. It stopped working about a few months ago, but I have other computers in the house, so I just ignored it for a while, hoping that it will just fix itself (wishful thinking, lol). Every time I try to open up an internet browser, the message "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" is the only thing that shows up. What's even more strange is that there are 3 other laptops in my house (all running off of a wireless internet router), but they all connect to the internet just fine....I've tired rebooting the laptop, restarting the internet, etc. I'm not a computer genius so it could be a number of issues. I don't know what's going on...

Some additional info:

-My laptop is a Microsoft XP [Version 5.1.2600] Home Edition, HP Pavillion dv8000
-My computer has been currently set to automatically add updates
-I recently updated my iTunes about two months ago (and I can't place my purchased songs on my iPod because I can't connect to the iTunes store (which requires internet connection))
-This is the only laptop that uses a Belkin N1 Wireless Notebook Card
-I got rid of a virus off the computer last December, but it did not affect my internet connection (it still was working at the time)
-It says the wireless signal strength is excellent, however it also says "Wireless Network Connection 2 is not connected" (I've tried repairing it but it wouldn't even do that)
-It also says "Local Area Connection: A network cable is unplugged", but I don't use any cords for this laptop anyway. I use wireless internet for it.

-Here's what I got when I ran a Diagnostic log today (hopefully it's readable):

Last diagnostic run time: 08/22/09 19:13:14
Network Adapter Diagnostic
Network location detection

info Using home Internet connection
Network adapter identification

info Network connection: Name=Local Area Connection, Device=Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC, MediaType=LAN, SubMediaType=LAN
info Network connection: Name=Wireless Network Connection 2, Device=Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN, MediaType=LAN, SubMediaType=WIRELESS
info Network connection: Name=Wireless Network Connection 3, Device=Belkin N1 Wireless Notebook Card, MediaType=LAN, SubMediaType=WIRELESS
info Network connection: Name=1394 Connection, Device=1394 Net Adapter, MediaType=LAN, SubMediaType=1394
warn This machine has more than one Ethernet or more than one Wireless adapter
info Redirecting user to support call

HTTP, HTTPS, FTP Diagnostic
HTTP, HTTPS, FTP connectivity

warn HTTP: Error 12007 connecting to www.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved
warn HTTPS: Error 12007 connecting to www.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved
warn FTP (Passive): Error 12007 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved
warn HTTP: Error 12007 connecting to www.hotmail.com: The server name or address could not be resolved
warn HTTPS: Error 12007 connecting to www.passport.net: The server name or address could not be resolved
warn FTP (Active): Error 12007 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved
error Could not make an HTTP connection.
error Could not make an HTTPS connection.
error Could not make an FTP connection.

I'd appreciate any help that I can get. Thanks so much in advance!!!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 22 August 2009 - 08:24 PM

<<Local Area Connection: A network cable is unplugged", but I don't use any cords for this laptop anyway. I use wireless internet for it.>>

Probably indicates that your wired, onboard NIC is not connected. You can disable this in the BIOS, if you like.

As for your wireless connection...try deleting the connection and setting it up anew.

Louis

#3 hplap2006

hplap2006
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2009 - 03:47 PM

<<Local Area Connection: A network cable is unplugged", but I don't use any cords for this laptop anyway. I use wireless internet for it.>>

Probably indicates that your wired, onboard NIC is not connected. You can disable this in the BIOS, if you like.

As for your wireless connection...try deleting the connection and setting it up anew.

Louis

Okay thanks....um so what's an NIC? and what is a BIOS? Sorry I'm not familiar with those acronyms, lol. Am I'm not exactly sure what you mean by deleting the connection....

Edited by hplap2006, 23 August 2009 - 03:48 PM.

#4 hplap2006

hplap2006
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2009 - 09:58 PM

Will someone at least TRY to help me? I was seeing if I could get some other solution rather than having to send it back....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users