Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vacuum your Firefox

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 CoolCatBad

CoolCatBad

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 22 August 2009 - 04:43 PM

The SQLite databases that Firefox 3x uses to manage cookies and history can be defragmented and cleaned by issuing the VACUUM command.

This speeds up the general behavior of Firefox.

Details of the commands here for Linux, OS X and a zip file for Windows. (I tried it and it works)

http://webupd8.blogspot.com/2009/07/increa...ormance-by.html

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 22 August 2009 - 06:54 PM

Hey CoolCatBad---Your post made me go looking to find out more about the VACUUM command.

I found a program that works in both Ubuntu and Windows that if works as intended
will VACUUM and clean up similar to Ccleaner and more. It is called BLEACHBIT.

http://bleachbit.sourceforge.net/
Here are some links to check out for those interested. This is the first program I have seen
that works similar to Ccleaner in Ubuntu.
QUOTE: BleachBit quickly frees disk space, removes hidden junk, and easily guards your privacy. Erase cache, delete cookies, clear Internet history, remove unused localizations, shred logs, and delete temporary files. Designed for Linux and Windows systems, it wipes clean over 50 applications including Firefox, Internet Explorer, Flash, Google Chrome, Opera, Safari, Adobe Reader, APT, and more.

Beyond simply deleting files, BleachBit includes advanced features such as shredding files to prevent recovery, wiping free disk space to hide traces of files deleted by other applications, and vacuuming Firefox to make it faster.

How to install in Ubuntu:
http://www.howtoforge.com/delete-unnecessa...-on-ubuntu-9.04

I intend to test this out on Ubuntu probably tomorrow unless one of the members here screams don't do it or
has had bad experiences with BLEACHBIT.

Edited by buddy215, 22 August 2009 - 06:57 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 CoolCatBad

CoolCatBad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 23 August 2009 - 06:05 AM

Good stuff this BleachBit.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 23 August 2009 - 08:13 AM

I installed it this morning on Ubuntu and used it. I am on Ubuntu now and have not seen any
problems after running the cleaner and VACUUM. Took less than 5 minutes to clean all and VACUUM.

Did notice that there is a later version available. From what I have read most of the revisions are for
Windows so I will just wait for the next Ubuntu release to update Bleachbit.

Edited by buddy215, 23 August 2009 - 08:15 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users