Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows ME startup trouble

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 eightballbw

eightballbw

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 19 July 2005 - 12:01 AM

Hello. When I try to do a normal startup on my computer, my mouse is frozen and does not appear on screen. Also, my soundcard won't work, and my display only uses the 16 bit setting. When I do a selective startup, my mouse and soundcard work perfectly. Once I select Process System.ini and restart, I lose my mouse and soundcard again. I'm running Windows ME. I replaced my power supply a few days ago and had to reset my CMOS settings. Could that have something to do with it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 19 July 2005 - 03:18 AM

hi did you do anything in the BIOS, why did you have to reset the CMOS. Also you have not mentioned when you put in each one about your 16 bit colour?.
Now installed Microsoft Security Essencials on my Tower with Windows Home Premium 32bit and Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop with Windows Home Premium 64bit

#3 eightballbw

eightballbw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2005 - 10:03 AM

After installing the new power supply, I was taken to the AMBIOS Simple Setup Utility. I was prompted to change the values in the CMOS setup. I chose the "Best performance values" option. Everything ran fine until recently. Now when I do a normal startup I have no mouse, no sound, and can't adjust my display settings. I've run AVAST anti-virus and nothing changed. I ran MSCONFIG and did a diagnostic startup. I have mouse and sound, but I can't adjust the display properties.

#4 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2005 - 11:03 AM

Hi when you when in and change it to best proformance was there one in there to let windows decide because that is the one that should work because windows sets it all.
Now installed Microsoft Security Essencials on my Tower with Windows Home Premium 32bit and Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop with Windows Home Premium 64bit

#5 eightballbw

eightballbw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2005 - 11:47 PM

Hey. I was finally able to access my device manager. Turns out there's something wrong with my mouse's driver -This device is not working properly because windows cannot load the file Vmouse.VxD that loads the drivers for that device (Code 8)-. I downloaded the vmouse.vxd driver from driverguide.com, but I have no idea what folder it belongs in.

#6 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2005 - 03:30 AM

hi install it into the mouse folder that you found. that is the all the info i can find.

#7 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2005 - 03:30 PM

You can try doing a search for Vmouse.VxD with Find Files and Folders and if you find it just replace it with the downloaded one.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#8 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 20 July 2005 - 11:33 PM

Perhaps this advice from Microsoft will help:

Mouse Help for ME

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users