Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Modem Power

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Turaiel

Turaiel

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 22 August 2009 - 04:29 PM

I have a Speedstream 5360 ADSL modem from my DSL service a while back, and I seem to have lost the AC adapter. The modem calls for 18VAC 0.8A, but all I found was a 12V AC adapter, which may or may not be the one that came with it.

Herein lies the problem: when I plug it in and turn it on, the power light on the modem comes on, but none of the other lights do, and there seems to be no ethernet data transfer, because the light on the router doesn't come on either.

Is this because there's not enough power, or is this probably something normal?

Edit: The adapter is 12VDC 200mA

Edited by Riker, 22 August 2009 - 04:48 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2009 - 06:23 PM

You need to match the voltage requirements exactly
Example:
http://www.summitsource.com/18v-18-volt-4-...0-c-p-6269.html

Edited by garmanma, 22 August 2009 - 06:24 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 22 August 2009 - 11:16 PM

The adapter is 12VDC 200mA

No, you won't get anywhere with that supply. Not only is the voltage lower than required, it can't supply anywhere near enough current.

The adapter needs to be rated to provide at least 800mA. Some people have reported being able to operate the modem successfully on 12VAC. That can depend on the tolerance of the particular adaptor, and is more likely to succeed if the 12V adaptor has a higher current rating, eg 1.2A

This is the appropriate (US) rating adaptor:

http://www.bizrate.com/cell-phone-accessor...d375204172.html
Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 Turaiel

Turaiel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2009 - 02:14 PM

Thanks for the help. At the price for the adapter, we're probably better off getting a new modem from AT&T.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users