Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Downloading SP2 - Mistake - Help?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rholt

rholt

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 09 September 2004 - 07:02 AM

Last night I naively started downloading MS SP2 (plus 2 other XP fixes). Here is what happened.

I was using a verizon DSL. I rarely have this computer hooked to the internet.

a) The download was quite slow given that I am on DSL.
:thumbsup: After about an hour - the SP2 download "failed" at about 80% completion
c) The other 2 XP fixes appeared to download and install OK.

But - here are my problems/questions

1) During the download - I noticed that I was sending as much data as I was receiving - very odd.
2) After the download (and after several reboots) I noticed that my DSL connection is useless - I can't connect to any web-sites. But it is still the case that my DSL connection is 'sending' a lot of data.
3) I noticed that Windows Update kept on trying to complete the SP2 download. I went ahead and turned off automatic-updates - but that didn't help the problem in item2).

Has my computer been hijacked? I will be running adaware and hihackthis tonight.

Is there some other potential explanation for what is going on?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 09 September 2004 - 07:22 PM

Its possible that there were errors on the connection so you were sending back requests for more data to continue the download.

If you want post a hijackthis log in the hijackthis logs forum and we can tell you if anything is there

#3 whazuper

whazuper

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2004 - 02:25 PM

Last night I naively started downloading MS SP2 (plus 2 other XP fixes). Here is what happened.

I was using a verizon DSL. I rarely have this computer hooked to the internet.

a) The download was quite slow given that I am on DSL.
:thumbsup: After about an hour - the SP2 download "failed" at about 80% completion
c) The other 2 XP fixes appeared to download and install OK.

But - here are my problems/questions

1) During the download - I noticed that I was sending as much data as I was receiving - very odd.
2) After the download (and after several reboots) I noticed that my DSL connection is useless - I can't connect to any web-sites. But it is still the case that my DSL connection is 'sending' a lot of data.
3) I noticed that Windows Update kept on trying to complete the SP2 download. I went ahead and turned off automatic-updates - but that didn't help the problem in item2).

Has my computer been hijacked? I will be running adaware and hihackthis tonight.

Is there some other potential explanation for what is going on?

Thanks

would'nt worry about downloading sp2 i tried and had the same problem my computer went all funky so i got rid of it and just stuck with sp1 and all my problems went away i think sp2 does'nt react properly with a lot of programs so anyway if i where you i would do a system restore back to before you downloaded sp2 i did and eveything went back to normal i'm sticking with sp1 for now.
good luck i hope what i said helped you.

whazuper

#4 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2007 - 10:28 PM

I don't know if M/S still does it. I requested a CD with SP-2 from there web site and it came in the snail mail in about 10 days. Makes it a lot nicer. I have been using SP-2 for years and have no problems.

#5 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 28 May 2007 - 11:03 PM

Service pack two is known to go haywire if there is malware on a system, It also has problems with antivirus programs and anti spyware programs. If you decide to try again, post a hijack this log to ensure that your machine is clean. You must also turn off the Anti virus, and anti spyware programs. FYI, M$ no longer supports pre SP2 Machines Here is a link to the order page http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/default.mspx
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 28 May 2007 - 11:29 PM

I have the SP2 file if you want it. I'd have to send it to you via You Send It because it's to big to mail. If you think you want to try it, send me a pm with your email address-a hotmail, yahoo, google, etc would be fine. The file is safe, and I would never give out your email address to anyone-not even you if you forgot it. In fact, I won't even save it to my address book. My feelings will not be hurt if you say NO.

#7 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 29 May 2007 - 12:19 AM

Aftwr 2,5 years a topic could be considered as closed I assume...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users