Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anti virus blocks my shared folders on network

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 GBSWALES

GBSWALES

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 22 August 2009 - 01:20 PM

Running Win XP pro (up to date) and was running Symantec anti virus corporate client (entitled to this from work)

Initial Problem - could not get access to my shared files and folders from any other PC on the home network but could access others

Process of elimination - uninstalling Symantec anti virus "unblocked" my shared folders immediately

Installed AVG free instead - network could no longer access my shared folders

uninstalled AVG shared folders accessible again

went through same process with Panda cloud same result!

Identified Problem - it seems that installing ANY type of anti virus software is blocking access to my shared drives - disabling the software does not change this only a complete uninstall of all AV software will work

Have provided hijack this log to a few people but despite removing anything that looks suspicious still no chnage
I did btw completely uninstall and reboot twice before installing new AV software to try

checked start up processed with Spybot SD tools and run a couple of malware detectors -apart from usual tracking cookies - nothing?

Almost at wits end and facing a complete delete partition and re-install - but with lots of sofware (which I use - useless stuff gone) and the thought of starting from scratch with all the XP updates made me feel it was worth one last try to see if anyone can help!

I suspect that a virus problem I had a few months back which was redirecting urls - and whch I thought was completely cleared, may have left something behind that is causing this - but have no idea where to look for it

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 22 August 2009 - 01:37 PM

Well, let's clarify a couple of things.

a. No AV program existing...blocks access to shared folders/files, etc.

b. A firewall might do that, but no legitimate AV program has that power. Firewalls block access, AV programs don't even block access to malware unless programmed to do such by the owner, that's why program configuration is important.

c. Malware might also block access to files on the system.

Now...if you think that installation of a malware-defense program...causes changes in your ability to normally access files on the system...I would have to guess that you have mispointed the culprit.

Have you taken a look in Event Viewer for possible clues?

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Secondly...if you have problems accessing files from 1 computer on a network...but no problem accessing other systems on the network...maybe the problem is with that system, not with yours. That is, assuming that no other systems experience what you experience.

Louis

#3 GBSWALES

GBSWALES
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 22 August 2009 - 05:43 PM

Have you taken a look in Event Viewer for possible clues?

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Louis

:thumbsup: You are hereby eleveated to "god" status[/size] - I have been posting this issue on several forums, including experts exchange, and had long exchanges of messages with experts, one of whom at least was a microsoft certified engineer. The event viewer led me to the cause of the problem and the solution in just 5 minutes - I dont know why I didnt think of looking at this myself but sometimes you cant see the wood for the trees ( I console myself with the fact than none of the other "experts thought of this either" )- it was IRP Stack Size - first I found the key was missing (though presumably using the default of 15) I created the key with 15 at first the problem was still there - followed Microsofts support faq about the issue and increased it to 20 - rebooted again and hey presto problem solved! :flowers: Thank you so very much for your help :trumpet:

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 22 August 2009 - 06:18 PM

You did the work very successfully, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users