Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is RAM different physical sizes?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 NoComputerFan

NoComputerFan

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 22 August 2009 - 10:39 AM

This is probably a very general question/problem. I am trying to replace a 512 MB stick with 1 GB and it seems that the measurements are just slightly off. The notch in the stick is barely off from the notch in the receiver. (Yeah, probably not the right terminology at all, but I think that gets the idea across.) Is this typical? Both sticks are DDR and are the same length. I think the only difference other than size is the manufacturer.

Edited by NoComputerFan, 22 August 2009 - 10:40 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 22 August 2009 - 11:18 AM

:thumbsup: To the best of my few brain cells the notches should always line up. Check on line (Google) for your mother board and it should tell you what Ram it will accept. You can use Belarc Advisor to find what mother board you have if you don't know

:flowers: To the best of my few brain cells the notches should always line up. Check on line (Google) for your mother board and it should tell you what Ram it will accept. You can use Belarc Advisor to find what mother board you have if you don't know

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2009 - 11:37 AM

It has to do with the amount of "pins".

They range from 168, less for lap tops, up to 240, being the longest I have come across.

Some are not necessarily longer but the alignment notch is located differently.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,249 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2009 - 11:59 AM

As pointed out...different types of RAM...reflect different pin locations/numbers/sizes.

I suspect that acquired the wrong type of RAM for your system/motherboard.

Louis

#5 NoComputerFan

NoComputerFan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2009 - 01:52 PM

Thanks for all of the information. How would I count the pins? I want to make sure I get the right stick next time.

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2009 - 02:40 PM

Look up the motherboard if it is a self-built machine.

If it is a store bought then Google for memory for "insert PC make and model here". You of course do not have to buy from any of the sources that come up but you shold find the information you are looking for.

#7 NoComputerFan

NoComputerFan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2009 - 10:04 AM

No, it isn't self-built. I will go look at Google, as you suggested. If I have other questions, I will post back. Thanks

#8 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2009 - 10:24 AM

Your :flowers:

We`ll :thumbsup: be here should you have any other questions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users