Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP File System Question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Harris Snyder

Harris Snyder

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 22 August 2009 - 10:32 AM

Hello. Concerning Windows XP....

Do you have any techniques for removing a users file system if the user is no longer on the XP system? My user is an "admin", and I get an access denied pop-up when I try to delete the files/folders of the missing user.
How I got into this situation is a separate topic. If you need it, I'll explain.

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,541 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2009 - 10:38 AM

Well...I'd like an explanation...before I attempt to explain to someone...how to circumvent an Admin account where the questioner is not the Admin.

Louis

#3 Harris Snyder

Harris Snyder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2009 - 11:18 AM

This a home computer used by me and my children. The folder I need to delete is my oldest daughters, who now uses her own laptop and brought over to her laptop all the files she needs from the home cpu. We talked and she does not need the files anymore.
I got into this situation when I was having windows problems, and I ran a windows repair. The repair worked, except that when it was done, my daughters user account was gone, but her file system was still there.

Hope this helps.

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2009 - 12:12 PM

You must have admin privileges.

Can you see the user in Control Panel > User Accounts. When you remove the account, you should get prompt to delete the related files/folders too.
If you do not see the account, then can you see the folders in C:\Documents and Settings\username ? If you are admin you should be able to delete the folder without any problem, else you might have to take the ownership of that folder and sub-folders.

How to take ownership : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,541 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2009 - 12:40 PM

When you say "file system", I'm thinking "Documents & Settings folders."

The only way that I know how to possibly get rid of those...is delete that profile while making yourself the new Admin.

I believe that you can make yourself Admin by going to User Accounts, where you can also delete the other account...after making yourself the Admin.

Start/Control Panel/User Accounts.

Louis

#6 Harris Snyder

Harris Snyder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2009 - 12:54 PM

The Mic article reference you posted might do the trick. I'll try that and get back to you.

PS...I dio have Admin rights on my account, and we are talking about the Doc and Settings folders.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users