Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I change the Computer Owner name

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 kullaroo

kullaroo

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 22 August 2009 - 06:51 AM

I am helping a friend clean up her PC. It is a WinXPsp2 Home edition, Pentium 4, 1.50Ghz, with 512Mb memory of which 384 Mb is available (the rest is shared for video).

When she bought the PC her then husband registered it to his name.

She now wants to remove the name of her ex-husband from the PC. I think that I have seen a way that the name of the Registered owner (as it appears when you right click on My Computer and select properties) can be changed but can't remember how it was done.

I've had a search in the registry for her ex-husband's name and it occurs numerous time in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER hive; I stopped looking at that point.

I'm comfortable with making registry changes if that is required.

Your help will be much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 22 August 2009 - 07:04 AM

Direct from the MS site.

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
3. Locate the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion
4. To change the company name, do the following:

In the right pane, double-click RegisteredOrganization. Under Value data, type the name that you want, and then click OK.
5. To change the name of the registered owner, do the following:

In the right pane, double-click RegisteredOwner. Under Value data, type the name that you want, and then click OK.
6. Click Exit on the File menu to quit Registry Editor.

#3 Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 21 April 2010 - 12:52 PM

When I did that, then used task manager, Thomas (former owner) is still listed under user name. In addition, in Control Panel I changed the user name to mine, but task manager still displays Thomas.

How do I change that?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,249 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2010 - 01:09 PM

In Control Panel/User Accounts...what is displayed?

Louis

#5 bicycle bill

bicycle bill

• Banned
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2010 - 05:06 PM

CHANGING THE LICENSED OWNERS NAME IN YOUR COMPUTER

Let's say you inherit a computer from someone else and it has their name and/or organization listed as the licensed owner in Windows and now, it's yours, so you want to change this. Navigate your way to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\ Windows\ Current Version.

(navigate by doubleclicking each of these.) In the right pane, you'll see RegisteredOrganization and RegisteredOwner in the Name column. Right-click the one you want to change, select Modify, and on the Value Data line of the resulting dialog box, type the correct information. Click OK, repeat these steps for the other value, if desired, and close the Registry Editor

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,546 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 21 April 2010 - 09:41 PM

@ bicycle bill, That looks an awfully lot like what ThunderZ posted in post #2. :thumbsup:

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 07:04 PM

It is, but I appreciate the repeat. I did that already and the listing in task manager still reads the former owner. I do not want a erase and install situation. There's software on this I cannot replace.

Thanks.

#8 Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 07:06 PM

In Control Panel/User Accounts...what is displayed?

Louis

My name. Thomas is displayed in task manager. If it isn't possible to change all the listings that read Thomas to my name, then just let me know and I will give up.

#9 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 07:55 PM

I think you will have to create a new account (Admin level) with username Cassi.

Here is how you can retain present user profile settings : (Assuming your name is Cassi, present account username is Thomas)
- Create a temp admin level account (lets say username Romeo) from Control Panel > User Accounts
- Create another admin level account Cassi (username = Cassi)
- Log off from all logged in sessions.
- Logon to new account Cassi and then log off.
- Logon to temp admin account (Romeo)
- Right click on My Computer and select Properties. Select Advanced tab. Click on Settings button under User Profiles section.
- Select your present account Thomas. Click on Copy To. Browse to C:\Documents and Settings\Cassi (replace Cassi whatever your new username is)
- Click on button labeled Change, type new user name (Cassi). Click Check Names, click OK.
- Click OK to copy. If warned, choose to proceed.
- Log off from temp admin account Romeo.
- Logon to Cassi account check if everything is alright.

If everything is ok, delete temp admin account Romeo. Keep old account for a month to be safe. After a month and no problems, delete old account Thomas too.

I hope it was easy to follow instructions set.

Edited by Romeo29, 22 April 2010 - 07:59 PM.

#10 Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2010 - 08:39 AM

Vot a headddake, dat isss!

I did that. When I get to the "copy to" part, the pc stops responding after about five minutes. I actually have to force a shutdown using the power button. ( I do not like to do that to my pc.)

When the pc starts, I cannot get into the account that was having the files copied to it. I can get into the others.

So, I deleted the "broken" account, including deleting all files. Rebooted, then created that account again.

This happened both times I attempted to copy the settings from Thomas to Cassi.

Right now, I am using one of my newly created accounts. If nothing else, everything runs faster on this account!

How long is it supposed to take to copy settings from one account to the other?

Thanks.

#11 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2010 - 08:56 AM

It takes few seconds to few minutes depending on the size of your profile. The copying process cannot be completed if you are logged in either of the source or target accounts.

Here are instructions with screenshots : http://www.petri.co.il/copy_user_profiles_in_windows_xp.htm

Tip : If you run CCleaner and clean temp files, local internet cache etc. then it may reduce your user profile by hundreds of megabytes.

#12 Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2010 - 04:21 PM

I was logged into the Romeo account, which is what the instructions stated.

I really do not want to do a format and install. Why do people allow teenagers to run rampant and unchecked on a pc? Especially one on loan to them that has been password protected. They gave the teens the password because the teens complained they couldn't download anything! D'uh!

I will follow the process again tomorrow.

Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users