Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

READ THIS

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 crashout888

crashout888

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 22 August 2009 - 06:35 AM

HI everyone.. I bougth kaspersky internet security from PC world. It promises "complete protection", of course this is rubbish and eventually my lap top got infected. I went back to PC world with my receipt and lap top and told them they had sold me a product which was unable to carry out the function that they claimed it could do... Of course they told me to get stuffed and that it would cost me 30 to gat it fixed. I insisted they were in the wrong but they wouldn't budge. I left my lap top with them and told them (shouted at them!) to fix it. When I got back in my car I phoned Trading Standards. Of course a company like PC World crumbled. The next day they had fixed my computer and put 'Malware bytes' on it for me for free!

One for the little guys!
Take care,
Kev.

Edited by The weatherman, 22 August 2009 - 07:18 AM.
Moved from Vista to a more appropriate forum. Tw

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cod head

cod head

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2009 - 07:07 AM

Good on you crashout888.They should not make promises they cannot keep.I hope more folks do what you did.

#3 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 22 August 2009 - 07:20 AM

I can understand the "one for the little guy" but I will be very honest with you.

If you had walked into a store where I was working, after buying a piece of software that makes the claim, on its own, of "Complete PC Protection" then started yelling at me about being sold an inferior product after "Your" decision to buy it based on claims printed on the packaging, your computer would have sat on the bench for a very long time.

Albeit the company that sells the product should be aware of what it will and what it will not do, shouting and screaming, will not get you much.

Your frustrations should be leveled with the maunfacturer ( i.e. Kaspersky ) and let them give you the reasons why it did not work and also fix it.

The store where you bought it is not to blame. And does not deserve your shouting.

I hope the next time this happens to you, you take my words to heart before shouting at an innocent third party whose only dealings in your problem was the fact that they "sold" Kaspersky" to you.
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#4 crashout888

crashout888
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2009 - 10:49 AM

Thanks for your comments tech extreme but I cannot agree with you. Firsty there was a debate not a one sided slanging match and certainly no screaming. They have a well rehearsed argument for refusing to adhere to english law. And we are talking about an issue of national importance. It is an out and scam by the retailers. If your trying to tell me that they were unaware that internet security does not work properly. Then wouldnt they have realised by the number of their customers that they rip off every 3 months when the security they sold them hasnt worked? Imagine the sums involved 30 three times a year for each PC... The are Liars, thieves and con artists.

Also the idea that my pc would have 'sat on a bench for a long time' is also total nonsense. It would only have stayed there until Trading Standards turned up un-announced. And then they would have been fined for such blatent dishonesty.

The retailer is responsible for the products they sell. And lets face it they dont want to sell internet security that works. They would have to lay off a lot of their staff. They have to be held responsible for their actions. Its just like a garage selling a faulty car knowing you'll be back to have it fixed. The retailers are the root cause of the problem. Given the fact that they know it doesnt work, then, the only reason for selling it is so they can tap everyone up every now and again for 'repairs' which lets face it they caused.

Shouting seems to work for me!....

SO LETS ALL STAND UP, BE COUNTED, AND GET THIS SCUM OFF THE STREETS!

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 22 August 2009 - 11:51 AM

:flowers: :thumbsup: :trumpet:

#6 ksky10081

ksky10081

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2009 - 12:45 PM

We have different laws in the states but believing all that you read is another thing....

#7 trollocks

trollocks

• Members
  • 369 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2009 - 12:49 PM

wish i had done the same thing with pc world

they sold me a crappy laptop which refused to boot up on many occasions.

when i took it back they refused to fix it saying software problems were not covered by warranty after 3 months.what a joke.

got some advice on here about changing the boot order to hdd first and since then it has only failed to boot once

pc world are scum and will never buy anything from there again

#8 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2009 - 03:48 PM

Crashout888, I'm sorry but I can't agree with you. I can agree that we disagree and I'm going to explain to you why.

Put yourself in the "reatailers" shoes for a minute and think about dealing with someone that is shouting at them. How quickly would you react to someone shouting as opposed to someone who came into "your" store and explained the problem? Would you be more apt to help them if they were acting "civil" or "shouting like the town cryer"?

I can agree that the software may not have lived up to its claims, but that's no reason to "kill the messenger" or in this case, "the retailer". They are selling a product based on that products track record. They are also possibly selling a product based on "independent" testing results. As you can plainly see from reading a handful of the posts here on Bleeping Computer, you very well know that no one product is the end-all-be-all for viruses, spyware, and the like.

I understand that the retailer sold you a product that you specifically had a problem with, but I'm sure there are even more people that have purchased that same exact product and have had no problems whatsoever.

If you look at what some of the people here run on their computers to keep them clean, you will find that they run more than just an "antivirus" or all-in-one internet security product. Most people are running anywhere from 2 to 5 or 6 different pieces of software to be sure their computers are clean.

Take for instance the differences between Malwarebytes and Superantispyware. You can run both of them on the same computer and one will show infections while the other may not. And they both scanned exactly the same files. The difference??? One has found the infection through testing and disection and the other has not found it as of yet.

If there came a day where one product had the corner on the market, be it in the states, europe or anywhere else in the world, one would have to ask themselves "how are they doing it? Are they the ones making the viruses and spyware in te first place?" That day will probably never come to light.

Why do you think there are so many choices when it comes to antivirus or internet security?
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#9 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2009 - 03:51 PM

Bottom line. The Retailer is not responsible for the packaging of the product or the claims made by the manufacturer.

In the end, buyer be (a)ware.

#10 trollocks

trollocks

• Members
  • 369 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2009 - 04:25 PM

my pc is a compaq which is owned by hp

pc world is an approved hp repair centre which is where hp told me to take it as it was under warranty but they still refused to fix it

#11 Guest_The weatherman_*

Guest_The weatherman_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 22 August 2009 - 07:40 PM

Bottom line. The Retailer is not responsible for the packaging of the product or the claims made by the manufacturer.

The seller beware in England, crashout888 has a contract with the seller (his receipt) the seller has the issue with the manufacture who will have covered there ass for sure.

#12 ksky10081

ksky10081

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2009 - 08:56 PM

"complete protection" - - that sounds like a challenge to those :inlove: :trumpet: :flowers: :thumbsup: who create malware....

#13 cod head

cod head

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2009 - 07:34 AM

If you bought a new car and the CD player in it did not work you would take it back to the garage you bought it from for them to put right.You would not take out the CD player and send it of to the manufacturer of that product.Most computer guarantee's from shops,although manufacturer's guarantee's albeit,are not invoked.Manufacturers should empower computer retailers to repair their products and pay the retailer for the work.As agents acting on there behalf so as to speak.If you buy a t.v.and the speakers go you do not run of to the speaker provider but the t.v.retailer.Why not so for computers.With computers it is like you have to prove there is something wrong before the warranty works.The onus is on you.

#14 DnDer

DnDer

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2009 - 04:33 PM

Just on a tangent... I thought Kaspersky was supposed to be one of the better ones out there (of the ones you have to pay for, anyway).

#15 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2009 - 09:13 PM

It is one of the better ones, but there is NO security program that is 100% effective, at protecting you from every infection.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users