Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Haven't got the Internet - why?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 22 August 2009 - 05:43 AM

Hi. I have a computer which is Windows 2000. From Microsoft support and other sites it says I should just be able to plug in an ethernet cable and it should work. I can't find any help or reason why it shouldn't work, but it doesn't. It used to work and I used a direct connection (modem to computer).

The Internet does work as I am using it now on another computer. It's been a few years since I last used the other computer, but no settings have been changed. How can I get the Internet to work on it again?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 22 August 2009 - 08:51 PM

Look in Device Manager for any yellow !. If there are none, with the wire plugged in, open Network Connections. Look for Local area connection. If its enabled, right click on it and click Repair. If it is disabled, right click and Enable it. See if it connects you.

If that doesn't work, right click on it again and click Properties. Click on Internet Protocol(TCP/IP) and click the Properties button. Make sure both things on the little window has a dot beside Obtain etc. If it doesn't, put one there for both and click OK twice. If it had the dots in there move on, if not go back to Network connections and see if you can repair it.

Another thing to try - click Start -> Run -> type CMD and hit enter. In the black box type netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt and hit enter. If no errors come up reboot your computer and try to connect.

Let us know what happens.

I was just reading and I am not sure if that command will work in W2k. If no errors come up then it does work in W2k. If it comes up with an error do this: Better print this out.

To remove and reinstall TCP/IP for Windows 2000, do the following:

1. From the Start menu, select Settings, then Control Panel, then Network and Dial-up Connections.

2. Right-click the icon of LAN connection you want to remove and reinstall TCP/IP. Then choose Properties.

3. Click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and click Uninstall. Select Yes when prompted by the window that appears.

4. When asked to restart your computer, select No.

5. In the Select Network Component Type window, click Install, then select Protocol, and then click Add.

6. Under "Select Network Protocol", choose NetBEUI Protocol or NWLink as a placeholder for the connection. Then click OK.

7. When asked to restart your computer, select Yes.

8. After your computer restarts, repeat steps 1 and 2.

9. Now click Install and select Protocol. Then click Add.

10. Click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click OK.

11. Repeat step 3, but this time uninstall the placeholder protocol you installed in step 6. You will then need to restart your computer.

Edited by CaveDweller2, 22 August 2009 - 09:33 PM.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users