Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows xp home not booting up

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 eldude

eldude

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 09 September 2004 - 02:01 AM

the system is a vaio it comes up with the Sony screen follow by a screen that in short words lets u now that some files are missing or corrupted. No specifics. At the bottom of the screen two choices continue F1 or press F2 Setup. If continue instructs to insert Recovery CD and press ® on the first screen. Tried it with no response from sys. I went into Set-up and change boot up sequence with CD in place. My choices are to restore sys to manufacturer's status. Decline offer because I was able to see all folders on CDrive by booting via Drive A floppy. Would like to obtain a CD that will allow me to boot to prompt, run antivirus and initiate recovery. Any suggestions.

Thanks!!

eldude

P.S. Manufacture's Recovery CD only gives options to restore to original state when it was buit. Like I mention above I ejected the CD since had no choice to cancel procedure with the Recovery CD. it mention about formatting harddrive and data was going to be lost!! I refuse to wonder beyond that point from recovery instructions not knowing if right after accepting loss of data to occur. Would that be the case or perhaps would still check if there is a chance to restore the existing harddrive?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 eldude

eldude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2004 - 02:10 AM

I just received this info from another message board. I let you know if it works.

Looks like you need to replace your registry hives with backup copies.

http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...5&Product=winxp

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,718 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2004 - 07:21 PM

You should be able to boot off of the xp cd and do a repair on it...will have to reinstall service packs etc though

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users