Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstalled Windows XP, now don't have many functions

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 kbud4

kbud4

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 22 August 2009 - 02:41 AM

Hi, this is new for me, so if this thread should be somewhere else or something, please let me know.

I have a Dell Vostro 1500. It had many, many viruses, so I completely redownloaded the Operating System, and attepted to redownload device drivers, diagnostics, and utilities that came with the Vostro. But despite my efforts, a lot of stuff is missing. For example, it says that I have absolutely no sound systems.

What do I do? Please help me. I really should've asked for advise before doing anything major, but it's too late now.

Oh, also, I'm on my desktop, which is on Vista. I'm also having trouble figuring out how to reconnect back to my wireless. :thumbsup: Help, please.

Edited by kbud4, 22 August 2009 - 02:41 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 22 August 2009 - 02:53 AM

Where did you try downloading the drivers from? This is the proper page for your model.

#3 kbud4

kbud4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2009 - 03:11 AM

I downloaded them off the CD that came with the laptop.

Maybe it's more accurate to say I don't have a clue about which drivers and whatnot I'm supposed to install. Do you know how I can figure that out?

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2009 - 03:14 AM

I'd download all the drivers on the page I linked to. That page is specifically for your model and has all the drivers that Dell provides, and likely in newer versions than you may have on the CD.

#5 kbud4

kbud4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2009 - 04:12 AM

Okay, I looked at the CD and installed what I could.

However, I can't reach the website since the laptop has no connection to the internet. How do I set up a wireless?

Thanks for you help so far, I appreciate it.

#6 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2009 - 04:38 AM

To setup the wireless, you'll need the drivers. Which you can't download without already having the drivers... a real pain.

You'll need to download them using another computer and copy them to a USB flash drive, CD-R/W or other portable storage device, then copy the drivers from the storage device to the laptop.

#7 kbud4

kbud4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2009 - 05:00 AM

Argh. Okay, I'll do that. At least there's two computers in my house, so I'm not completely helpless.

#8 kbud4

kbud4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2009 - 08:27 PM

Okay, I got all the basic stuff in.

However, I still can't access the internet on my laptop. I have a modem (DSL) connected to a wireless router, connected to the desktop. I can't connect wirelessly with my laptop though.

Thanks for all the help so far.

#9 l33tissw00t

l33tissw00t

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 22 August 2009 - 08:29 PM

Okay, I got all the basic stuff in.

However, I still can't access the internet on my laptop. I have a modem (DSL) connected to a wireless router, connected to the desktop. I can't connect wirelessly with my laptop though.

Thanks for all the help so far.

Did you install the correct Wireless Card drivers?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users