Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

EVEN more problems since my problems began

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 nickm2

nickm2

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 22 August 2009 - 12:31 AM

Guys:

Well since my previous post RE:WinXP & my problems with Mozilla Firefox, I have been unable to access the 'help & support' feature; I get an error that says:

Windows cannot open Help & Support because a system service is not running. To fix this problem, start the service named 'Help & Support';

So how the heck do I do that???

thx

NM

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 22 August 2009 - 10:20 AM

Start/Run...type services.msc and hit Enter.

Services should be listed alphabetically.

Scroll down to Help and Support. Status should be Started, Startup type should be Automatic.

Double-click on the service to get status options, change the two items I indicated above, if possible. Hit OK.

Louis

#3 nickm2

nickm2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2009 - 11:55 AM

Start/Run...type services.msc and hit Enter.

Services should be listed alphabetically.

Scroll down to Help and Support. Status should be Started, Startup type should be Automatic.

Double-click on the service to get status options, change the two items I indicated above, if possible. Hit OK.

Louis

Thanks Louis; It worked but I MIGHT just be back with more questions...

NM

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,393 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2009 - 12:14 PM

Glad you solved it...we'll be around if you have questions/problems :thumbsup:.

Louis

#5 nickm2

nickm2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2009 - 04:08 PM

Glad you solved it...we'll be around if you have questions/problems :thumbsup:.

Louis

No prob...AND right on time, MORE problems have cropped up. I am having trouble being able to download stuff. I have a IE 64 bit that allows me to get on the net but...I CAN download stuff but can't find it when I download it---I can't seem to find my download manager EITHER. This is causing me problems with such things as viewing Videos on YouTube....

Thx;

NM

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,393 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2009 - 05:01 PM

Finding things on a computer is no problem...that's what the Start/Find function is for.

As for download managers...why are you using one?

Sounds awfully confused to me.

Louis

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,393 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2009 - 05:01 PM

Duplicate.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 22 August 2009 - 05:02 PM.

#8 nickm2

nickm2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2009 - 05:20 PM

Finding things on a computer is no problem...that's what the Start/Find function is for.

As for download managers...why are you using one?

Sounds awfully confused to me.

Louis

Ah...sorry perhaps I should explain...Whenever I downloaded anything it always appeared on some sort of download manager so I could track how it was progressing and how much of it had downloaded. For SOME reason that feature is missing....hence the problems I'm having getting my programs to work. In case I have forgotten I have XP pro 64 bit.

NM

#9 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,285 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2009 - 05:49 AM

I'm still stuck on the Help and Support thing.

I have heard about this error but never seen it, but I would like to see it.

You would think just starting the service is the solution and that seems to usually do it. How did it get stopped or set to manual in the first place?

My H&S works fine. I use it all the time :thumbsup:. I stopped the H&S service and try to get into H&S again and the service starts itself and H&S is fine. Event log shows the service starting too. No errors.

I stopped my service and set it to manual, rebooted, the service is not running, I try H&S and the service starts up (but remains in manual. No problem!

I have also heard of that error and the H&S service was (allegedly) not listed in Services, but I found a link to a .reg file offered as a plan B to put the service back in the list if plan A doesn't pan out.

How can I recreate this error by just manipulating the service? Why did nickm2 have to start the H&S service to fix his and mine seems to start by itself when it is needed?

XP Pro SP3.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,393 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2009 - 09:01 AM

Well...I try to remember what a service is.

It can be an O/S process running in the background, it can be an application process running in the background.

Any part of either the O/S or an application...can become damaged at any time...with not-necessarily-predictable effects on all the other files in the system.

So...I don't try to figure out why File Z has suddenly displayed Behavior 1 or why Process A2 is not doing what it should do. I don't have that type of computer/electronic knowledge and my premises may be inaccurate anyway, since we all know that the unanticipated often happens when dealing with computers.

I just try the simple stuff first :thumbsup:.

If a service is stopped, I try to start it. If a service/application is running that I don't want to run...I try to stop it or remove it.

The Web is full of actual/theoretical explanations as to why this happens or that happens on a system. I try to make use of such, given the appropriate situation...but I always try the simple things first.

I suppose my approach is best exemplified by uninstall/reinstall approach to troublesome programs and driver problems. I do research only when it's not something obvious :flowers:.

Louis

#11 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,285 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2009 - 09:33 AM

I start simple too!

If I saw a message that says a service was not started, I would first check the service of course.

So far, this issue has never been a total stumper even if more intense methods are needed. (I think I may have just cursed myself.)

I don't understand why when I stop my service, I do not get that message. I reboot and I see the service is not running, but still don't get that message. If I launch H&S, the service starts.

I have fixed it solidly plenty of times, but can't make it happen on purpose by just stopping the service.

It doesn't really matter :thumbsup: , I'm just curious...

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#12 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2009 - 09:44 AM

If "It Ain't Broke...Don't Fix It" comes to mind...LOL :thumbsup:
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,393 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2009 - 10:53 AM

I agree, with a variation :thumbsup:.

The service is designed to be manually started or stopped...so manually stopping it does not trigger any sort of error message. No error is the cause of the manual stopping.

However, when the service SHOULD be running or the system thinks it should...and there is no service operative, that's when the red flags come out. Something else has resulted in the service being stopped...what that something else is, we may never know.

Louis

#14 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,285 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2009 - 03:19 PM

I am just trying to see how I can generate the never personally seen message:

Windows cannot open Help & Support because a system service is not running. To fix this problem, start the service named 'Help & Support'

The OP got the message, was rightly advised to start the service and set it to Automatic and then it worked.

I know how to fix it or reinstall the service if it is sometimes missing. However for me, the service will just start up if it is stopped when I launch H&S.

My service is stopped and manual and I don't get the message, so I figure there must be more to it somewheres.

It helps me generate better instructions to other folks if I can inflict the problem on myself (within reason).

If you stop your service, do you get the message? I think my system might be afraid of me.

Anywho, it matters not. It's just something I don't understand (yet).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users