Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Setting Up Wireless Connection-Help Please

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 21 August 2009 - 10:10 PM

I need to set up a connection so my son-in-law can access the internet using his new just purchased today MacBook Pro.
Unfortunately, I have forgotten what I did when I set up my husband's computer for wireless access.
The only things I recall are

1) Installing the wireless card in his computer
2) hooking up my husband's computer to the router using a wired connection in order to set it up
3) being totally shocked and amazed that his wireless connection actually worked after I got it set up

Now I need to know what I have to do to set up the Mac.
Is there anything I need to install on it? Do I simply hook it up the router and create an SSID for him? Is it even possible to create more than one SSID or will he have to use the connection I previously set up? I don't mind if he has to use the network I set up for my husband.

My router is a D-Link DI-524 AirPlus G 802.11g
It is next to my computer (which is wired to the router)

My son-in-law's MacBook has "built-in AirPort Extreme Wireless Networking (802.11n)".

I need to get it right the first time, and have it working. He is a student and will be doing a lot of research for papers this semester, plus he will be doing work and submitting it online. (his Toshiba bit the dust and he used my pc last semester)

If more info is needed, let me know.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 21 August 2009 - 10:45 PM

Use the AirPort menu (look near the right side of the menu bar for a menu that looks like expanding ripples). Select a network from that menu, enter password if prompted. It should be really easy, Macs are like that lol

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Topic Starter

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 22 August 2009 - 11:21 PM

Here's the deal. We noticed last night when he first turned on the MacBook that there was a wireless network, but it isn't mine.
Today, there were 2 wireless networks listed, again neither are mine. One of them I've seen on my husband's computer, and I think I know which neighbor it belongs to. And it is a secured connection. Even if it were not secure, my son-in-law would not want to use it.

He's hooked his MacBook directly into the router, which is a few inches in front of him.
All I want to do is set him up with a connection for him-either a seperate one from my husband's or using that one.
How can I accomplish this?

He'll be gone tomorrow, and I'll try a few things while he's not here.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 22 August 2009 - 11:22 PM.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Topic Starter

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2009 - 06:54 PM

UPDATE

Issue solved. Son-in-law purchased a Linksys router today.
His MacBook now connects to the internet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users