Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building a gaming system for 2010

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Leaf

Leaf

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 21 August 2009 - 08:42 PM

So it's come to the point where I need a new computer, the only problem is I have no idea when it comes to selecting one I'm looking for a computer that can handle heavy games, mainly the ones coming out late 09'/into 2010, and runs them as smooth as silk (Mainly interested in Dragon age origins, The old Republic, and Diablo III) the only other thing I need the computer for other then gaming, would be the internet, I don't need programming or anything that's not nessicary (But microsoft word would be nice) I've asked around many sites and it comes to my attention that it would be good for me to build my own computer which is where I need someone to step in, I'm not cheaping out but i'm not blowing alot of money either so there doesn't need to be that much of a compromise for money costs, (My absolute maximum to blow on it is 2000 but i'm hoping it will cost less, maybe around 1000+) So I was wondering, Could somebody please help me out! It would be much appreciated!

(I really need info on the purchasing of the products, the assembly I can get someone to do, also i'm a Canadian resident so if it can be shipped to canada or you can find them in a store around the vancouver region it would be much appreciated, thank you for your time :thumbsup: )

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 21 August 2009 - 10:30 PM

If you're going to be building a PC, now is the time to poke around and see what is about to be released. I know there are new processors coming down the line next year, as are several new graphics cards. Don't make any firm commitments on hardware since 2010 is still a ways off. Sometime around December is when you need to start planning for the 2010 releases.

Here are some sites that have very good hardware reviews.
[H]ardOCP - My favorite.
PC Perspecitve - A general reviews site.
Guru3D - They review games and hardware, their graphics card reviews are very nice.
Overclockers Club - Ethusiast PC reviews, for some reason it likes to cause problems with IE8 and some script they use.
Legit Reviews
JonnyGuru - They specialize in power supply reviews.
Silent PC Review - They do quiet PC's and quiet, or near quiet, components.

When you're ready to build, there are three stores I suggest for Canadian customers.
Newegg.ca - Newegg.com is one of the best sites for computer components there is, their Canadian site is very nice. They don't have the selection of Newegg.com, but what they do have is good.
NCIX.com - Where Newegg started in the U.S. and then opened up to Canada, NCIX started in Canada and opened to the U.S. Their prices are a little steep, though.
TigerDirect.ca - I'm familiar with TigerDirect.com, their Canadian site is similar to their American one. I stay away from TigerDirect, not for any business reason, but because their site is a mess, IMO.

3939.png

#3 Leaf

Leaf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2009 - 10:46 PM

Well after I posted the thread I did some researching and found some of the things I need, let me see what you think about them and if they will all fit together?

CPU: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/Sea...AIN#detailspecs

Motherboard: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/sea...AIN#detailspecs

Hard drive: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/Sea...;Sku=TSD-1000H4

Video Card: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/Sea...p;Sku=P450-4892

So i'm missing a case and a powersupply because I got confused when trying to find those so I need help with those, also is it nessicary to get a dvd burner? (Unless i'm wrong isn't it just to create CD's and stuff and not needed for PC gaming? [Unless the thing you put the gaming cd in doesn't come with the motherboard/case thing :thumbsup: ])

the moniter and mouse and keyboard I will deal with later right now I just want the tower, also if you could recommend a better cooling thing for the CPU that's not too expensive and will make it better it would be appreciated :D

How did I do so far?

Thanks for your help so far and sorry for my lack of knowledge :huh:

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2009 - 11:43 PM

If you're going to build this in 2010, coming up with a parts list now is useless given price fluctuations and new technologies coming out. But, if you're going to be building now to play games for 2010, that's another story. Below is a suggested configuration. All prices below are in CAD.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz - The i7 920 is good, but if you're going with the low end of the i7 platform, you may as well go for a Phenom II X4 965 since they are close performance wise and the Phenom II is much less. That said, since you have the cash to burn, the i7 950 would be a major step up. $649

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Gigabyte makes some excellent motherboards. $249

Case: ENERMAX Uber Chakra ECA5001B - I suggest ATX full tower cases for their added depth and thermal levels. $129

Graphics card: SAPPHIRE 100251SR Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB - This is one of the most powerful graphics cards known. It is two HD 4870's on one card. $389

RAM: OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 - i7 motherboards, the good ones anyway, use DDR3 triple channel memory. This will work. $104

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB - This has plenty of space for most home users. $74

Optical Drive: SAMSUNG DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223L LightScribe Support - You need a basic drive to load software. Most burners can read and write to optical discs. $32

Aftermarket Heatsink and Fan: XIGMATEK Dark Knight-S1283V 120mm Long Life Bearing CPU Cooler - Since you requested one, here it is. This is a very good cooler with a large, and quiet, 120mm fan. $50

Power Supply: CORSAIR CMPSU-850HX 850W - The graphics card I selected needs a 650W power supply, factor in 100W for variance and you get this. Corsair makes excellent power supplies, I have one. Keep in mind that since your graphics card is already in a Crossfire setup, you do not need a larger power supply since the gains for adding another graphics card (triple or quad Crossfire) are just not there. $179

Operating System: Windows Vista 64-bit Home Premium SP1 - You need an OS and a 64-bit one to use 4GB or more of RAM. This also comes with a free Windows 7 upgrade coupon. $142

Grand Total: $2,005

If you want an AMD system, you can get the following. Note, all other hardware will remain the same.

Motherboard: ECS BLACK SERIES A790GXM-AD3 AM3 AMD 790GX - This supports the latest AM3 processors and ATI Crossfire along with DDR3. $139 (Before $20 mail-in rebate)

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz - This is AMD's newest flagship processor. It is very new, so only a few motherboards can take it out-of-the-box. $284

RAM: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 - You can buy two of these kits if you wish. $86

Aftermarket Heatsink and Fan: COOLER MASTER V8 RR-UV8-XBU1-GP 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler - This will fit AM3 sockets. $70

Grand Total (for AMD): $1,530

Edited by DJBPace07, 22 August 2009 - 12:12 AM.

3939.png

#5 Leaf

Leaf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2009 - 05:52 PM

Oh sorry I am building it now and plan to use it into 2010, shoulda put that in the first post :huh:
So all your recommended gear fits together if I were to purchase that list(Not AMD one) ?
Thanks for your awesome help so far :thumbsup:

Edited by Leaf, 22 August 2009 - 05:52 PM.

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2009 - 09:08 PM

Yeah, everything works together. I was a bit confused when I read the initial post since I wasn't sure when you would be building the thing. The Intel build offers the most power, whereas the AMD build offers the best value to performance. Both builds will be powerful.

3939.png

#7 Leaf

Leaf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2009 - 10:55 PM

Okay :huh: My problem is solved now thanks for your help! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users