Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

iTunes download error

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 amyl

amyl

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 21 August 2009 - 08:08 PM

I am trying to download iTunes for my Nano 8GB and I get the error: "Could not access network location %APPDATA%\" Upon researching.....I find that this usually occurrs to Windows Vista users which is what I have).

Following a suggestion...I went to this link: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...f-b6aa22525dec the download said it doesn't apply to my system.

Follwing another suggestion....I right clicked on My Computer > Properties > Advanced Settings > Environment Variables > and I changed Valude: %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Temp\ to %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\ and it still doesn't work. (The variable is Temp). Is this a correct solution? If so...is the variable and value correct? (I only changed the name in the enviorment settings)After trying to download the iTunes....I tried to download QuickTime to view a tutorial and I get same %APPDATA% error.

How do I fix this so that I can download iTunes? More importantly....will this now affect all future downloads with this same error if I don't fix this?
I tried this link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/886549 but I am scared to do it because serious problems may occur is modify incorrectly.
Please help!!!! Thanks so much! This website is a blessing.

Edited by amyl, 21 August 2009 - 08:23 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CoolCatBad

CoolCatBad

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 21 August 2009 - 09:08 PM

The Environment Variables setting should not need to be changed.

Do you mean you can't find things that you have downloaded? You should have the option to choose a download location in whatever browser you use. Best idea is to choose Desktop.

#3 amyl

amyl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2009 - 09:40 PM

The Environment Variables setting should not need to be changed.

Do you mean you can't find things that you have downloaded? You should have the option to choose a download location in whatever browser you use. Best idea is to choose Desktop.

No I mean I receive this error when trying to download iTunes. Iwas just explaing what I have done so far...... I changed the name due to a suggestion that someone gave. But changing it (and not chaning it for that matter) doesn't help the download. I am asking what to do from here to fix it?

#4 CoolCatBad

CoolCatBad

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2009 - 10:34 PM

Press Windows Key + R to bring up the Run box, paste this in and click OK -

CMD /K ECHO %APPDATA%

You should get -

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming

#5 amyl

amyl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2009 - 10:58 PM

Press Windows Key + R to bring up the Run box, paste this in and click OK -

CMD /K ECHO %APPDATA%

You should get -

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming

All I got was %APPDATA%. What does this mean and how to fix so that I can download?

Edited by amyl, 21 August 2009 - 11:14 PM.

#6 CoolCatBad

CoolCatBad

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2009 - 11:24 PM

This means your user profile is corrupted.

Follow these instructions http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/e...22001e1033.mspx

#7 amyl

amyl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2009 - 12:34 AM

Follow these instructions http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/e...22001e1033.mspx

Will this fix my problem or are there steps after this?

#8 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2009 - 07:58 AM

Will this fix my problem or are there steps after this?

Who knows? Without having physical possession of the computer to try to duplicate the exact error, look at the error logs ect all we can go on is your description. Often times there are more than one thing causing a "problem." Coolcat detects that your user profile is corrupted. Fix that and see it that takes care of all your problem. Perhaps not. What prompted you to try the KB for "Error 1066"? The first error message you posted, (rhetorical question). So if you fix your corrupted user profile and still get that message, you may be back to that KB 886549. Does that mean that coolcat suggested something that wasn't needed or "bad"? No, just something ELSE that needed fixed too lol.

I'm not going to jump in and suggest anything while Coolcat is helping. He has a path and it's best to follow one path. If too many folks start jumping in with this suggestion and that suggestion, pretty soon you (and anyone trying to help) will lose track of what you have done BUT.............

If you get back to KB 886549 you can always back up your registry before you edit it which allows you to restore it if you screw it up lol. Even if you don't need to do KB 886549, it's nice to know how to back up your registry. Here is a link that tells you how. Save it for future use if you don't need it for this problem. Back up and restoring the registry.

#9 amyl

amyl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2009 - 05:27 PM

Call me crazy....but if I copy files from the old user, aren't I copying the corrupted files?

I tried this (I was able to go further than before). I was able to start downloading iTunes 8 and it made it all the way to "Computing Space Requirements" and gave me the APPDATA error. It stated couldn't finish downloading because it requires Quicktime.

Any Clue what to do now? This is sooooooo frustrating cause I been trying to fix this for forever

Edited by amyl, 25 August 2009 - 06:48 PM.

#10 amyl

amyl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2009 - 07:49 PM

Call me crazy....but if I copy files from the old user, aren't I copying the corrupted files?

I tried this (I was able to go further than before). I was able to start downloading iTunes 8 and it made it all the way to "Computing Space Requirements" and gave me the APPDATA error. It stated couldn't finish downloading because it requires Quicktime.

Any Clue what to do now? This is sooooooo frustrating cause I been trying to fix this for forever

I found the solution. I cannot create new account (even if I don't copy files) because it copies files from admin account. The admin account has the corupt file on it so it will transfer to new accounts. Luckily I had an existing account that was created before I downloaded the corrupt file.

The corrupt file has to be the "safely remove program" because it's not on the user account that allowed me to download iTunes because I created the account before I plugged the ipod.

My question now is.......when I plugged in the ipod it started this whole problem. How am I supposed to sync music if it causes a corrupt file once plugged in? ALSO....since this is a used ipod and was plugged into a diff computer at one time...how do I sync music? (I don't care to take everything off iPod and start al over)

Edited by amyl, 26 August 2009 - 08:06 AM.

#11 amyl

amyl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2009 - 08:07 AM

b

#12 amyl

amyl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2009 - 10:21 PM

Solution!

Everything is fixed and is working great! These were simple fixes....just finding the info to fix took forever to find, understand, and apply. Maybe these solutions will help someone else with the same problem(s).

I do want to say that I am not claiming to be an expert nor ensuring that this will work for everyone (this is the way I found my solution and am just sharing). How to copy / paste desired music files is information i received from someone in a forum (I don't want to take credit lol)

How I fixed "%APPDATA% error when trying to download iTunes on Vista" (
When received error:
I received this error when I plugged in the iPod to comp for 1st time....before I tried to download iTunes.
What this error means: Usually means that the "safely remove hardware" is corrupt).
Solution: I used a different user account (an existing one. DO NOT create a new one and copy files from corrupt file to the new one because it copies / pastes corrupt file) and downloaded iTunes without a problem.

How I fixed "How to make an used i-pod to work on a new comp"
After iTunes is downloaded, plug iPod in comp.
Error received: Something to the extent of "iPod already synced with another library".
Solution: I selected "Delete and sync" (you can also choose "restore"). This erased all existing songs on iPod.
Add new songs: I copied desired music files from desired user account on my comp into the iTunes library and then added to iPod.

After this was complete, I obtained new music and synced with iPod.

How to copy desired music files from a user account and paste into iTunes library? - Log on a user other than user copying files from and other than user that has iTunes.
- Open Documents by clicking the Start button then clicking documents
- Click the Tools menu (if you don't see Tools, press ALT)
- Locate the C://Users/Username folder (you want to copy files from)
- Select the file in this folder
- Click the Edit menu, then click Copy (if you don't see edit menu press ALT)
- Locate the C://Username folder (where iTunes is downloaded)
- Click the Edit menu, then click Paste
- Log off then back on as the User where iTunes is downloaded and start at steps at top of this post

Edited by amyl, 26 August 2009 - 10:22 PM.

#13 wendyinthehills

wendyinthehills

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 16 September 2010 - 01:13 PM

cannot download aplication for itunes. need to have to complete i phone process

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users