Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help, Please. Vista on Laptop Frozen using External Monitor, So I Can't See In Order to Troubleshoot

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 MasterJedi

MasterJedi

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 21 August 2009 - 05:16 PM

Hello my friends:
I have a serious issue that I hope someone can help me with.

While in the middle of checking my e mail remotely in Microsoft Outlook Web access, and attempting to exit to an external link in a message, Mozilla Firefox stopped responding, would not close, and I experienced a lock up that would not rectify. Even upon attempting a reboot, the laptop obviously remained on the cause of the issue and did not even give me the password prompt, and the same thing occurred after several stints of removing the battery for short periods and then attempting to reboot.

Here is the real kicker, though. Due to a cracked screen on the laptop, I have been using an external monitor in conjunction with the laptop. As a result, I cannot see anything that is actually going on. Previously, when all was perfect, the system would immediately progress to the password prompt screen in order to proceed working through the initialization of Vista. Now, everything remains dark, although it appears that I can still see the laptop stuck on a website at the very corner of the cracked screen, in addition to the computer still appearing to be in the constant state of processing info.

What I need, if someone is kind enough to assist, is a walkthrough on a system restore and diagnostic process utilizing the keyboard only in order to get me to a point where I can see something displaying on my external monitor that will allow me to see what is going and try to fix the problem, as I am in the blind at the moment with a locked up laptop.

Thanks in advance for anyone's assistance, and I hope to hear some expertise soon, as I am frustrated and concerned. Take care,
BBB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MasterJedi

MasterJedi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 21 August 2009 - 06:57 PM

I have fixed the problem via an F8 system restore. All is good. Take care,
BBB