Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer not turning on

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Rvan801

Rvan801

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 21 August 2009 - 02:22 PM

I have Windows ME on an emachines T1801 that is about seven years old. It had been working fine, but I stopped using it for a few years, and when I went to turn it on recently, nothing happened. It's not the outlet or anything, because the surge protector can be turned on. But when I press the power button on the tower itself, it just never turns on. Did it die on me, and if so, is the problem fixable? I really appreciate any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 21 August 2009 - 06:09 PM

If there's a switch on the back of the computer, it should be near the plug for the power cord, make sure it's flipped on. Not all power supplies have them, but you may want to check if yours does.

You can also try opening the computer and resetting the cmos by taking the quarter-sized battery out for a few minutes, while the computers unplugged.

If it still won't turn on, I would suspect that the power supply or motherboard went badThis is fixable, but I'm not exactly sure how much a store would charge to fix this.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 Moby Purple

Moby Purple

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2009 - 06:22 PM

If you've never replaced the CMOS, it's probably dead. I would do what Sterling14 said, but replace it with a new battery, they're cheap.

#4 Rvan801

Rvan801
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 21 August 2009 - 06:29 PM

Thanks for the reply, both of you. I'm kind of reluctant to open the computer to replace the battery, as I've never really done it before. What's the worst that could happen if I screwed something up?

Also, moby, what kind of battery would I be looking to purchase? Is it just referred to as a CMOS?

#5 iQuickie

iQuickie

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2009 - 11:14 PM

Most likely it will be an Energizer 2032 battery. It looks like a watch battery. It's highly unlikely that you will ruin anything. It's literally just like changing your watch battery. It's also the same battery that is in your key fob for your car. It will looks like this:

Posted Image

You can find them at any Wal-Mart, auto parts store, etc.
Good luck.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2009 - 10:43 AM

CMOS Battery Replacement - http://www.liverepair.com/encyclopedia/art...cmosreplace.asp

Any CR2032 battery will do, no particular brand needed.

Louis

#7 iQuickie

iQuickie

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2009 - 08:47 PM

CMOS Battery Replacement - http://www.liverepair.com/encyclopedia/art...cmosreplace.asp

Any CR2032 battery will do, no particular brand needed.

Louis

Yea, sorry about that. I didn't mean to be brand loyal. It's just what I associate with the CR2032 because that's what I sell at work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users