Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop AC Adapter rating questions...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 SpaCeTraNce

SpaCeTraNce

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 21 August 2009 - 01:44 PM

What do the power rating number on laptop power supplies mean???

As an example:
A Dell 90 watt AC Adapter says:
Output: DC 19.5V 4.62 A
From what I remember about Ohms Law Volts*Amps=Watts

Here are my questions:
Are the voltage and amperes ratings MAXIMUM rating or CONSTANT ratings???
Does the ac adapter give these volts and amps all the time or just as needed???
Can I plug aa ac adapter into a device when the ac adapter is rated higher then the device??? Or will this fry the device???
Can I plug an ac adapter into a device when the ac adapter is rated lower than the device??? or will this fry the adapter???

If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world. -- C.S. Lewis

The more I study science, the more I believe in God. -- Albert Einstein

Mathematics is the language with which God has written the universe. -- Galileo Galilei

I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just, that His justice cannot sleep forever. -- Thomas Jefferson

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 21 August 2009 - 05:48 PM

The voltage output by a supply is constant. So the 19.5V PSU always supplies 19.5V.

The current rating on a supply is the maximum it can provide and still function correctly. Up to this amount, it will only supply as much current as the appliance wants.

If the adapter voltage is higher than the device requires, the device can be damaged. If the voltage is lower than the device needs, it will probably not operate, and in rare instances could also be damaged.

The adaptor current rating should be a little more than the maximum device requirement. If the device needs more current than the PSU can supply, the PSU should shut off to protect itself from damage.

So from your example, the 19.5V supply will deliver 90W if the device draws 4.62A. If you connect a laptop that only draws 3.1A, only 60W is being supplied. If the supply was plugged into a laptop that needs 14V, the laptop would probably be damaged.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 SpaCeTraNce

SpaCeTraNce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 23 August 2009 - 12:32 PM

Cool thanks.... So amps are drawn as needed but the voltage is constant.

I should have known that about the amps because I have frequently tested a ac adaptor for voltage and know that a good one will put out slightly over what the adaptor is rated for.

If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world. -- C.S. Lewis

The more I study science, the more I believe in God. -- Albert Einstein

Mathematics is the language with which God has written the universe. -- Galileo Galilei

I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just, that His justice cannot sleep forever. -- Thomas Jefferson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users