Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop won't boot up

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 wallywattz

wallywattz

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 21 August 2009 - 11:39 AM

Computer: Dell Inspiron 1521 laptop
Bios Revision A00

Problem:
The computer will not boot up. I am unable to boot into safe mode by tapping F8 (using vista). It just goes through the Dell bootup screen with the progress bar loading and the next screen is just black with a blinking white cursor/underscore "_".

I ran some diagnostic tests and got the following error - "Error Code: 0F00:137B IDE Device failed: Blank media or no media is present in optical drive. Test requires media with data (Resource CD, Installation CD).

From what I've read from some other posts/forums, this means that the DVD drive is bad. Is that correct? Should buying and installing a new one fix the problem.

Do I need to reinstall Windows?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cod head

cod head

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 21 August 2009 - 02:42 PM

I am presuming if the test requires the installation CD that the computer does not think there is a problem with your DVD drive.You would need the dvd drive to run the installation disk.I also doubt that a faulty DVD drive would be stopping you from booting up your computer normally.What happened before your problems started.Prior to this event was everything running normally.So no I would not go out and buy a new DVD drive.Have you a installation disk you could insert in the DVD drive has that is what the computer seems to be asking.If I remember right f11 takes you to recovery manager,you could try that instead of f8.But I am fairly certain your boot up problem has nothing to do with your DVD drive.

#3 wallywattz

wallywattz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2009 - 02:46 PM

Just got a new error message when trying to boot up (which I have gotten before)...When I first got this message, I thought something was wrong with my RAM, so I bought a new RAM card and installed it.

"Memory write/read failure at 48770804, read 98778877 expecting 98779877
To resolve this issue, try to reseat the memory.
Decreasing available memory
Memory address line failure at 48770000, read 98779877 expecting 88888888
Decreasing available memory
The amount of system memory has changed.
If you did not change your memory…
Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility
Press F5 to run onboard diagnostics"

If I put in the Windows CD and boot up, will I be erasing the hard drive. I have a lot of info that I don't want to lose on there.

#4 cod head

cod head

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2009 - 02:56 PM

It would seem you will have to solve your memory problem before you go any further.Are you sure the memory cards are seated correctly in their slots.Are the memory cards you bought a exact match for the ones you have.I would look at the cards and ensure they are seated correctly in their slots.

#5 wallywattz

wallywattz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2009 - 03:56 PM

I'm pretty sure. I just removed the one that was in there and put in the new one. It's clipped in and everything. Actually, there are 2 RAM cards in my computer, but there was only one in the spot that I opened up. Is one "built-in" or something? FWIW, this happened before I switched out the RAM.

#6 cod head

cod head

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2009 - 06:06 AM

The Ram cards are usually in pairs,side by side.Is there a empty slot next to the slot were you have seated your new memory card.Like you say you should have two cards.Did you buy your new ram as a pair.And no the Ram would not be built in like you are thinking.It always goes in slots as far as I am aware.Could someone have took one of you memory cards out as a prank.

#7 wallywattz

wallywattz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2009 - 08:54 AM

I ran some diagnostic tests on it and there were no issues/errors. Specifically I ran a test on the hard drive and the memory and there were no issues.

What are my next steps? If I boot it up with the Vista CD in the drive, will that erase everything on my hard drive?

#8 cod head

cod head

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2009 - 10:50 AM

I Googled your error code and have been looking around and this is what I found.Is your DVD drive empty as the computer may think a wrong disc is in the drive.A option from Dell Forum,s was press F12 when booting up,select partition then test memory.I say this as original problem seems memory related.Another option from Dell Forum was press F8 on booting,press advanced options menu and then select repair my computer which seems a good option to prevent you hopefully from losing your work.If you go for using the installation disc I think you may have a option to repair your computer.If all else fails and you have to reinstall everything I would think there is a good chance you will lose any files you have on the hard drive.Anyway try other suggestions first and see what happens.

#9 wallywattz

wallywattz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2009 - 12:40 PM

cod head - I found the same information. I put a disc in there to see if that was the problem, but still didn't work. I'll try the repair computer option. Thanks a bunch.

#10 wallywattz

wallywattz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2009 - 05:57 PM

I put in the Vista installation CD and did the repair option and there were no problems found - "Startup Repair could not detect a problem." When I restarted, it still doesn't work though. Would it help if I post the details of the repair? There is a log of some sort.

So far I've found that:
1. Memory is okay - ran the memory tests and there were no issues
2. Hard Drive is okay - ran the diagnostics test and no issues
3. DVD drive works as I was able to run the Vista CD

What the hell else could it be? All these tests/repairs/etc. are not finding any problems.

#11 wallywattz

wallywattz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2009 - 09:10 PM

If I end up having to reinstall (reformat) windows, I will lose everything on my computer. Is there a way I can back up all the info on my Hard drive even though it won't power up? I'm sure Geek Squad could do it, but would charge 80-100 i'm sure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users