Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do you pick your Anti-Virus software?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 msqueen

msqueen

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 21 August 2009 - 11:26 AM

I need a referral for a new antivirus all-in-one: firewall, storage, anti-spyware etc. I know most people go by reviews in PC World and other places, but do you guys use trial and error, word of mouth, or other sources? I just want to know what's reliable before I spend all the $$$ or sign up for something random!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bambo

Bambo

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 21 August 2009 - 11:45 AM

No, I think you want a straight answer or you would not have asked :thumbsup: Own experience is the best way but not worth much if you dont know so much about these things. What you have now? and why you want new? And remove $$$ signs, why not use free stuff? If you have XP spend money on Vista or 7 when it get released. Will increase your security much more - free stuff does not always equal bad quality.

#3 Moby Purple

Moby Purple

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 21 August 2009 - 06:39 PM

I use Norton Internet Security 2009 but for convenience, auto-updates, etc. The free stuff works just as well, Comodo firewall, AVG, Avira, or Avast for an anti-virus, Windows Defender, MalwareBytes, and SuperAntiSpyware for anti-spyware. All work great, you just have to do manual updates in most cases and the programs require a little more attention. Just remember, one firewall only, one anti-virus only, and one real-time anti-spyware only, otherwise conflicts can result.

#4 danjmilos

danjmilos

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 21 August 2009 - 10:09 PM

Here's my setup and it is all free programs:

Avast Home Free
Outpost Firewall Free
MBAM and SAS as on demand scanners
Spyware Blaster real time spyware , adware

Everything works well together and has kept me out of trouble.
I use the free programs REVO Uninstaller and CCleaner as my uninstaller, start up manager and file cleaners.

Dan

#5 danjmilos

danjmilos

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 22 August 2009 - 08:58 AM

msqueen,

A good resource to answer your question is here in the sticky section of the SECURITY forum where you posted this. There are lists by catagory AV, anti-spyware, and all the different segements of comp security. If you look at it and have questions about certain products everyone here will gladly give you an opinion on what they like best.

Dan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users