Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BidDefender is giving me failed to initalize errors

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Doug E Fresh

Doug E Fresh

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 21 August 2009 - 11:00 AM

So my Mcafee expired today and I decided I was going to try Bitdefender. Uninstalled Mcafee first and then installed Bitdefender. Luckily I decided to try the trial version first because chaos has broken loose on my computer. I can't run any programs -- task manager, thunderbird, mozilla programs, Winpatrol ect... --firefox works for some reason though.

Anyway, I keep getting a failed to initialize error. I don't know what to do. I work from home and can't do anything right now. I made an account on the Bitdefender forum and when I'm signed in I'm NOT AUTHORIZED to view posts or to post myself. What is that crap!? I can't get support from them? Really? Yeah, I really want to buy your product now. Psh.

The clock is ticking and I have a ton of work to do so I decided to just uninstall Bitdefender. About half way through it says I don't have permission to delete it and I'm forced to hit cancel. Ugh. So I google that and I've found a Bitdefender uninstall tool through their forum (when I was signed out). When I try to run it I once again get the failed to initialize error (The applicaion failed to initalize properly (0xc0000005). Click OK to terminate the application.).

Someone please help! I'm freaking out. I've also tried a system restore and I get the same error message. What can I do?

I'm running Vista and the only other active antivirus type program that would be active is Winpatrol, which is also not working.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bambo

Bambo

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 21 August 2009 - 11:24 AM

Try this program, kills Security stuff http://www.appremover.com/ - Ive never tried it.

There must be some major conflict. I dont know Bitdefender at all but there is a almost similar Failed to scan threat here http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?sho...ailed+initalize and hints on how to uninstall manually. But may be you have seen already.

xp-AntiSpy
Nero 8
PunkBuster Services

are mentioned as incompatible. Likely to be more, like 80% uninstalled Mcafee ;) but dump it for now at least. Dont they have a knowledgebase/faq or is all info in forum?

Mcafee also have a special uninstaller btw. http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507

Dont think Winpatrol has anything to do with this - not uless you blocked some Bitdefender releated drivers/services/startup entries?

That appremover does not seem to list Bitdefender as a supported application so of no use unless Mcafee is problem.

Have you tried safe mode? but probably best you read that thread again, they will know better how-to get rid of it manually.

Edited by Bambo, 21 August 2009 - 11:32 AM.

#3 Doug E Fresh

Doug E Fresh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2009 - 11:54 AM

Thank you for your quick response. I've downloaded appremover and again I get the same error message. I also tried running as administrator. No dice. Mcafee uninstaller does the same thing.

Winpatrol gets the same error message when it tries to start up so I'm pretty sure that's not running. It's not displayed in the system tray like usual. I can't even check task manager because it's also getting the error message. Odd that Firefox is working, but I'm grateful it is.

Bitdefender has a FAQ, but I was unable to find anything relevant. The 'uninstall' search just shows doing it through control panel or the uninstaller that won't run. The fact that I'm under pressure probably isn't helping me be very thorough.

I'm going to try the uninstallers in safe mode and see how that goes. I appreciate the help.

Anther oddity is when I try to restart I get the error message, but it does eventually restart.

#4 Bambo

Bambo

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2009 - 11:57 AM

I gave wrong link to forum http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?sho...ailed+initalize from page 4 or so there are some who claim to know how-to.

Try to reinstall Bitdefender again - if possible.

Edited by Bambo, 21 August 2009 - 11:59 AM.

#5 Bambo

Bambo

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2009 - 12:27 PM

Hmm, may be you are in wrong forum http://www.techtalkz.com/windows-help/2558...ion-failed.html and http://forums.techguy.org/malware-removal-...0xc0000005.html There are also posts with program specific problems, like in Adobe FAQ http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/113/11331107.html Same msg. so dont put too much in that.

Since under a time limit I think you should post in "Am I infected" forum instead. Or do like me and Google for error msg.

So if you are infected Mcafee have been zzzzzz and now new Defender is hosed too? Never got installed properly. Whatever got triggered? Who knows, I think you qualify for that forum. If worried about this then lets hope it is only your Windows that is messed up - more or less same thing...

Edited by Bambo, 21 August 2009 - 12:30 PM.

#6 Doug E Fresh

Doug E Fresh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2009 - 01:39 PM

Well, I was able to uninstall Mcafee in safe mode. It did however say it was unable to completely remove it. So, I saved the log and tried contacting support. I keep getting a "no reps are available to help" when I try to chat.

After that the error messages still happened and the firewall wasn't working so I uninstalled BitDefender in safe mode as well. No more error messages now and windows seems to be working Ok... so far. Everything I've tested is running at least. I don't believe I'm infected, in fact my computer is running pretty smoothly.

What worries me a bit is that when it was uninstalling a few components didn't get removed, including registry entries. As far as that thread goes I did indeed use the linked uninstaller, but I'm not comfortable messing with the registry after reading some horror stories on bleepingcomputer. Plus, all other features including the scan were working, with the exception of the firewall.

So, this day is pretty much shot as far as working goes, and I still have no anti-virus. I don't think I want to try Bitdefender again after that fiasco, though I suspect it was the remnants of Mcafee that were causing me grief. Do you have any suggestions on another product I can try? I was thinking Kaspersky maybe, but I'm worried if there's still remnants of the last two AV's that I might get more chaos.

I've also been considering updating to a 64-bit OS, so I almost feel like formatting and picking up Vista 64 before I install another antivirus. But, with Windows 7 only a couple months away that might be a waste. I don't know. Maybe it's a bad idea to buy Windows 7 at launch, though my problems with Vista when it was new were minimal compared to other people. Would Vista 64 be more stable I wonder.

Thanks a lot for the help and suggestions, I appreciate it.

Edited by Doug E Fresh, 21 August 2009 - 01:43 PM.

#7 Bambo

Bambo

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2009 - 01:55 PM

That was nice - I just found this http://www.0xc0000005.com/ so you see there were reason to worry. Next up would have been manual check of drivers, services, startup - registry... big ad for a registry tool that page. Infection would probably have been easier to deal with than corrupted registry.

So only conflict :thumbsup: Well you could try that appremover since it should be compatible with Mcafee.

If you have run both Mcafees and Bitdefenders uninstall tools there should not be anything major left though. You can manually delete folders when done. Some entries in registry dont matter as long as they are program specifc, hopefully.

Vista is innocent until proven guilty :flowers: Wait for 7. Go get free Avast Home edition. Works ok. Stable, no popups and they are making a new version which looks very nice. It is a safe choice. There is a firewall in Vista already, check it is enabled btw. with all this uninstall who knows. Mcafeee or Bitdefender have probably turned it off.

#8 Doug E Fresh

Doug E Fresh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2009 - 04:14 PM

The App remover only detected spybot earlier when I tried it. This was after Mcafee Control Panel uninstall and I think before Mcafee uninstaller. I checked 'services' and don't see any Mcafee entries. I actually just spoke to a rep from Mcafee and they said that when you run the uninstaller in safe mode you get that message, that it wasn't uninstalled completely.

After reading that link I decided to try installing BitDefender again and encountered all the same problems. So, if what Mcafee says is true than it's a Bitdefender issue.

I think I'm going to try a trial version of another AV software, I just need to figure out which one. I wanted to try Bitdefender because I read that it didn't use up many resources, which is why I was ditching Mcafee. I read about a few free AV versions, but I'm not too thrilled with any of the reviews.

What a pain. Maybe I'll check out a Norton trial and see what happens. Cnet gave 2009 the best reviews. I was happy with Trend Micro before Mcafee.

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2009 - 05:17 PM

Almost all AV programs have their own uninstall tool
This is McAfee's
MCPR2.EXE
http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#10 Doug E Fresh

Doug E Fresh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2009 - 06:50 PM

I did indeed use that when I uninstalled after the Control Panel method. The McAfee rep said it's no longer on my computer and I haven't found any traces of it. Bit Defender however, still won't run properly so I'm looking for another option. I just want something that doesn't use a lot of system resources and that I can disable if I'm not online.

#11 Bambo

Bambo

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2009 - 01:25 AM

Norton is actually pretty light but you should dump the idea of thinking resources like it was Win98, also idea of turning security software off. Has old Mcafee done that to you? ;) Vista could not care less. There is a good reason why Avira were happy to announce latest version had better self-protection - turning it off was too easy. Dont think convenience but service towards malware. You are not supposed to tinker this way. Get a product which is flexible, have enough settings to allow you to customize/tweak to your liking - and then let it be.

Dont know what happend but when system restore and many other things does not work, Bitdefender install rutines must be very destructive when conditions are not optimal. Too bad for Bitdefender, lets hope that is the cause and real problem is not your Vista. If installation of new trial does not succeed there must be other problems.

Remember to check Windows firewall is not disabled. Often done by suites and since uninstall have been more forced than smooth you might be without firewall right now.

Edited by Bambo, 22 August 2009 - 01:26 AM.

#12 Doug E Fresh

Doug E Fresh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2009 - 09:01 AM

I was actually able to post on the Bit Defender forum. I didn't activate my account earlier (duh). Apparently someone else has had the same problem. It seems it's an issue with the 2010 version. http://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?sho...amp;#entry63413

So, I guess I'm going to try Norton today. The only reason I want to be able to disable my AV is when I'm working sometimes I need the extra resources. Running three or more Adobe programs while I'm working is pretty demanding at times and it seemed Mcafee was always trying to update itself at the most inconvenient times. And that would cause major slowdown. If I'm not online and I'm trying to work I don't see the harm in turning off my AV if needed. Mcafee can't be turned off. You can disable certain things, but it will continue to run.

I have re-enabled windows firewall and defender for the time being. I think I'm going to download the Norton trial version.

#13 Bambo

Bambo

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2009 - 09:11 AM

You cant turn off AVs just like that. Can disable resident scanning, perhaps also update but to really shut them down you will need to disable services, perhaps other attachments to OS. Well personal preferences but offline does not mean less need. Plug in a usb drive and game over or forget to enable when going online. Thought on/offline mode were gone but not so apparently.

Ive run without AV for months so not being paranoid - have no idea how you compute. False sense of being secure is not healthy though.

Well I tried Norton Internet Security 2009 in a virtualbox once - right after trying Mcafee, Trends packages. Both pretty horrible for someone like me who prefer less is better. Much lighter or what everyone says seem to be true. If you want a big suite it should be tested for sure.

If in doubt install Avast and focus on work ;)

Edited by Bambo, 22 August 2009 - 09:14 AM.

#14 Doug E Fresh

Doug E Fresh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2009 - 09:24 AM

Norton seems pretty nice so far. I got it up and running in about ten minutes, including setting up my firewall to block specific programs from accessing the web. Nice interface, very easy to use and navigate. Less confusing than Mcafee where things were buried in menus. So, we shall see.

I remember on Trend Micro I had the ability to disable real-time AV. I never really did because it was pretty unnoticeable. Mcafee however, was choppiness city whenever it was doing anything. Mcafee was nice as far as keep my computer infection free. It's just not for me. I do miss the Site Advisor though. http://www.siteadvisor.com/ Looks like I can still use it maybe.

Funny, I just found a Bit Defender toolbar still installed in Thunderbird. No clue what it's for.

Edited by Doug E Fresh, 22 August 2009 - 09:26 AM.

#15 Bambo

Bambo

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2009 - 09:42 AM

Their uninstall tool must be really bad. Toolbar in TB is strange btw. You should be able to uninstall it within TB addons?

Yeah you can continue with Siteadvisor if you want to settle for that ;) I much prefer WOT http://www.mywot.com/ not so sure I love the social aspect of WOT but on the other hand slow updates is not really great either. Has a very good plugin for browser, lets you set it up in many ways. Paranoia mode or ignore anything but RED. Norton also has one of these tools, AVG another one. There are more. Good idea since if effective, like WOT, it can be big help for installed AV. Also good at warning against all those sites that might be ok but should make you think twice - an encouragement to investigate.

Edited by Bambo, 22 August 2009 - 09:44 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users