Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Combofix broked my computer

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 GaWdLy

GaWdLy

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 21 August 2009 - 10:02 AM

Last night one of my PCs got a trojan infection. Avast identified the trojan as W32:Fraudo. There was also a rootkit, I believe it was Bravia.exe.

I ran MBAM, deleted most of the files. I then ran combofix.exe, allowed it to update and download files, and then it went through the standard removal process. Before running, it wartned me that the recovery console didn't completely get installed and did I want to removed viruses anyways. I answered yes like the web tutorial says to. After completing all of the virus removal phases, it instructed me that it was going to reboot, and it did.

When it came back up, It started crowing about NTLDR and Hal.dll. Suck.

Any clue what to do here? Does anyone know where I can download a reliable copy of an XP Home hal.dll?

Thanks for any help you can give me. I was hopeful that some hasty treatment with MBAM and combofix was going to yield good results.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GaWdLy

GaWdLy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 22 August 2009 - 12:36 AM

Not that anyone even saw this, but I resolved it by rebuilding the boot.ini file using the bootcfg program.

Feel free to close if necessary.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users