Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop overheating? Possible causes?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Manic_Subsidle

Manic_Subsidle

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 18 July 2005 - 04:57 PM

I have a Toshiba Satellite A65 S1762 laptop, and yesterday, I cleaned out the inside with an air duster thinking it might not heat up too much.

Unfortunately, it STILL heats up!!! Programs load up really slowly as well - is that from the heat?? Or could it possibly be from other stuff running in the background?? I tried Spybot and Ad-Aware, getting rid of any spyware/malware threats, but I can't figure out if it's the hardware that's at fault or the software.

Any ideas??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2005 - 08:20 PM

Well, its no secret that laptops run hot.

What is your operating system?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 Manic_Subsidle

Manic_Subsidle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2005 - 12:21 AM

I have Windows XP Home Edition w/ SP2.

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2005 - 06:05 AM

If your laptop gets too hot it will shut itself down. Heat will not slow the loading of programs.

Go to Start>Run and type in msconfig. Look at the Startup tab for entries with a checkmark. Enter those items into our Startup Database (top of this page) to see if you can remove some of them to improve your computer's performance.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 Manic_Subsidle

Manic_Subsidle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2005 - 12:30 AM

Thank you for that. But still, the laptop overheats...apparently the ACPI temperature (according to SpeedFan) is at about 78 degrees!!!

Is there any way to cool that down??

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2005 - 07:30 AM

78 degrees is nothing to worry about. Actually thats rather cool considering its a laptop.

I think your problem is software. Did you look at your Startup items?

#7 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 21 July 2005 - 09:09 AM

apparently the ACPI temperature (according to SpeedFan) is at about 78 degrees!!!

Fahrenheit or Celsius?

#8 Manic_Subsidle

Manic_Subsidle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2005 - 10:46 AM

Fahrenheit or Celsius?

I'm pretty sure it's Celsius. So that's about 172 Fahrenheit...

And I did check the Startup items and removed the ones that I could...but still, it heats up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users