Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Won't Boot

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 odeho19

odeho19

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 21 August 2009 - 05:23 AM

My kid brought me her laptop (Acer 5515) that she says she bought in February of this year, and says that it won't start up. This is what I know about it. I plug in the charger cord, open the top, and push the start button. The light turns on, the hard drive starts to spin, for a few seconds, and then it all shuts off. There is a power light that stays on, on the charger cord. She originally thought her charger cord was bad, but I don't think so, because the indicator light stays on. Could be the battery, but it seems kind of new for that to be the issue, and she "says", it was working fine, until "all of a sudden....." (UGHHH!!!) Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

P.S. I get the same results whether the charger cord is plugged in or not.
"Beer is proof that God loves us, and wants us to be Happy!" - Ben Franklin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 21 August 2009 - 11:04 AM

is it under warranty still ?
is the battry in right

try plugging the battery out and powering it on (with the ac charger on)

#3 iQuickie

iQuickie

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2009 - 11:11 PM

Did your daughter try to upgrade it recently? Does the laptop post? Posting is when it beeps during start up and the num lock and caps lock lights will flash one time.

If not, it's possible that the computer has bad/damaged memory(RAM). Does it ever get to the windows loading screen? If the computer was dropped, even a teensy bit, it's possible that the hardware was damaged somehow. I would check to see if the memory is still where it's supposed to be and hasn't shifted around. I had a laptop that wouldn't work because the RAM was incorrect. So I assume that it would act the same way if the RAM was just bad all together.

I don't really check these boards all too often so I might not remember that I tried to help you. But give the RAM a shot anyway.

#4 odeho19

odeho19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2009 - 04:03 AM

is it under warranty still ?
is the battry in right

try plugging the battery out and powering it on (with the ac charger on)

Thanks for your response. Tried this, and actually the unit did absolutely nothing. I'm going to try and contact Acer regarding getting some warranty repairs done. :thumbsup:

@ iQuickie: Thanks to you to for your input. I'll "ask" if it was dropped, but if you've had kids, I think you already know the answer that I'll get. But nice try though, You're funny! I'll just rely on what the service tech tells me. I was once a customer service mgr. for Best Buy, (Many years ago, before laptops), and had a gal bring in her top-load vcr, saying that she was certain it was her kids that spilled something in the top. ( she had already grounded them) Sent it to service, and came back with a note saying, ".....smelled alot like beer, when cover was removed". Turns out, hubby had, had a poker party, and completely denied even USING the thing. Somebody got his butt chewed! LOL

Edited by odeho19, 22 August 2009 - 04:09 AM.

#5 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2009 - 07:29 AM

I would think that maybe the heatsink/fan got loose or isn't working. A processor without a fan only takes seconds to overheat and crash the system. Do you notice any fans spinning up when it does turn on for the short time?
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#6 odeho19

odeho19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2009 - 09:26 AM

@ Sterling14: Yes I do notice a fan spinning for the few seconds that it's on, and then it shuts off immediately. But then the whole thing doesn't even start up with the charger cord as it's only power source. :thumbsup:

Thanks for getting back to me.
Odean

#7 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2009 - 09:51 AM

Have you examined the outside of the case for nicks\dents\scratches\cracks\general signs of a drop or fall?

"......it was working fine until all of a sudden...." is usually Kid-speak for I dropped it, or clicked a link I should`t have, or a let a friend use\work on it.

However sudden catostrophic failures can happen without User interaction too.

#8 odeho19

odeho19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2009 - 01:05 AM

@ ThunderZ: I checked the case pretty thoroughly, and didn't find any tell-tale signs that one of the kids did anything unnatural to it. Now, obviously, that doesn't mean they didn't drop it flat, or as you suggest, did something else to it. Unfortunately, I think it's going to have to be left up to the techs to open it up, and look inside beings the warranty is still good on it.

Thanks for the input, and I'll update A.S.A.P. :thumbsup:

#9 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2009 - 07:11 AM

If it`s still under warranty then other then time spent without the mystery will be solved and the lap top back in your (daughters) possession. Other then a bit of time invested the $$ should be 00.

Curious as to the final outcome. Awaiting your update.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users