Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU Overheat

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Parksy

Parksy

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 21 August 2009 - 04:00 AM

Hi guys, my pc has been down for about 2 weeks now, finally getting round to sorting it.

HARDWARE :- AMD 4800+ X2 2.5@3.09Ghz, 3GB 880Mhz RAM. Raid 0 Seagate 160gb, Artic Freeze 64, Corsair 750W PSU.

ISSUE :- The retention bracket broke on my heatsink/MOBO, before I noticed the pc had shut down due to over heating, the cpu was getting upto 120c!!!!

After a new retention bracket, cleaning every part in the pc case, re-attaching everything, including new heat sink paste etc, Im still getting well over 100c on load, idle is anywhere from 40-70c??

Before this issue I would get 35/40c idle with max load 60c, this was with a 20% overclock. I have taken the overclock off, still cant work out why Im getting these temps.

Can the procesor still work although product massive amounts of heat??, or am I looking towards a new motherboard? Or should I buy a new CPU and HOPE it is the problem??

Any help would be great, cheers guys....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,735 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 21 August 2009 - 09:03 AM

I guess that I have to wonder...why not just replace the heatsink/fan, rather than try to repair it?

Those dollars protect your system, well worth the small expenditure.

As for temps for the CPU...you can look the max/normal range up by researching the processor specs (at the manufacturer's website).

Louis

#3 Parksy

Parksy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 21 August 2009 - 09:54 AM

Hey thanks for the reply.......

The heatsink Im assuming is fine, it was the retention clip on the MOBO which broke (plastic) and the heatsink was so heavy it tilted off the CPU, which I didn;t realise till the crazy temps!!!

The max rated temp © for this CPU is around 68-70...... strange thing is the pc still boots/posts etc, as I have disabled CPU shutdown on high temp etc etc etc

Is it possible for the CPU to work but have sort of component gone that makes it very very hot??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users