Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to format comp w/o operating system

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 g0tvtec

g0tvtec

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 20 August 2009 - 09:23 PM

I have a trojan on my PC and it won't allow me to install any programs. When I try to open up a program, the window that asks what program I would like to use to open the file with, pops up. I tried popping in my XP disc and because of the virus, I cannot go on with set up. I want to format this computer completely. I do have a copy of XP, but because of the trojan virus, I cannot run it to format my PC. What can I do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 20 August 2009 - 09:35 PM

Are you trying to run the Windows setup from within Windows? If yes, you need to boot off Windows XP CD, and you would reach a screen to select partition to install Windows. At this point you can format partition.

For more information : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313348

#3 g0tvtec

g0tvtec
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2009 - 11:05 PM

Okay so I went into BIOS and set the PC to boot to the Windows XP CD. It prompted me to press any key to boot to CD drive, so I did. After Windows XP setup (after it is loading the files), I get a blue screen that says:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your
Computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer.
If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a drive is identified in
the Stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for
driver updates. Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory
options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove
or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced
Startup Options, and then select safe mode.

Technical Information:
Stop: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0XF748E0BF, 0XF78DA208, 0XF78D9F08)

pci.sys address F748E0BF base at F7487000

Any ideas? I don't care about recovering any files, just want to format.

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 23 August 2009 - 08:18 AM

Are you using Windows XP CD (with no service pack, original release of 2001)? You should grab a CD with at least Windows XP SP2 and try re-installing again. I recommend using Windows XP SP3 for installation.

If you have another computer with internet connection and a CD writer then you can slipstream SP1 and later SP3 using your existing XP CD. You have to slipstream SP1 first then SP3. SP1 is required for SP3.
How to slipstream SP1 : http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp1_cd.htm
How to slipstream SP3 : http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/S...ice_Pack_3.html

#5 g0tvtec

g0tvtec
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2009 - 04:30 PM

I was able to get a copy of Windows XP SP3 from a buddy of mine and it did the trick. Format went successfully. Thanks a lot Romeo. I love this forum!

#6 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2009 - 11:16 PM

Nice one there Romeo29! :thumbsup:

I really need to scroll down to see if someone's already answered the question before unleashing myself upon Google. :flowers:

Just for the record, this particualr STOP error seems to be related to an incompatible SATA device when installing Windows XP with no service packs. Reports indicate that installing from a SP2 or higher disk will alleviate the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users