Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

incorrect harddrive size in windows install

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 acornman37

acornman37

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 20 August 2009 - 08:23 PM

Hi all,

I'm trying to install windows on a new 1TB hard drive right now. However, when I get to the screen that asks which partition I want to install it on, it says that the drive only has 130 GB or so on it, not the 1000GB it should have. Just to see what it would do, I made a 50 GB partition and installed windows there. Everything was fine except that my computer only had one 50 GB C drive partition. Shouldn't the other 80 GB partition exist as a separate drive, like a D drive or something? Or if I want two partitions in windows, do I have to make them After windows is installed?

Maybe I'm just stupid seeing as I don't have much experience here. I'm going to try making a 500 GB partition just to see if will let me.

This is the hard drive I have:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822136284

Am I doing something wrong here? Should I flash my BIOS?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2009 - 09:08 PM

Which Windows XP version are you installing? Windows XP original release (2001) with no service packs had this limitation. You might want to install XP from a Windows XP SP2 or SP3 CD. Also check if large hard disks are supported by your BIOS (look up in your motherboard manual).

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2009 - 08:15 AM

Another item to consider...you really don't want a C: partition that is more than 50GB (actually, I would say more like 20 as my preference).

The reasons for such are several.

Maintenance operations (chkdsk, defrag) would take an inordinately long period of time to scan that size partition.

If there is any trouble with that partition...you may lose access to all your files. Creating multiple partitions for storage helps to spread that risk, if one cannot reduce it by having XP on one partition (with programs, critical updates, etc.), with all data files (pictures, movies, documents, etc.) on storage partitions which do not include C:.

Worth reading, IMO: http://www.acronis.com/resource/solutions/...ion-my-hdd.html

Louis

#4 acornman37

acornman37
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2009 - 09:38 AM

"Windows XP original release (2001) with no service packs had this limitation. You might want to install XP from a Windows XP SP2 or SP3 CD."

You were right! I borrowed the disc from a friend and I didn't realize it was in need of an update. I updated, and voila, I was able to make a new partition with 800 GB. Thanks!

@ hamluis thanks for the info...would having multiple partitions protect from a threat such as a virus if it were to infect one of them?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2009 - 10:49 AM

Multiple partitions do nothing against malware, since malware functions on the system...which includes all partitions existing and connected at any given time.

The best defense against malware...is a very proactive defense posture by the user/owner.

Louis

#6 acornman37

acornman37
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2009 - 01:33 PM

Ok right now I have 2 partitions. One that I installed windows in (130GB) and one other on that is 800 GB. I already have data in the 800 GB partition...how can I split this so that I have two 400 GB partitions? Do I have to empty it first or is there another way?

#7 Logix69

Logix69

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 21 August 2009 - 01:34 PM

Hi there i am having the same problem with my system i just bought today and thanks for all your imput it is most thankfull just a quick question would this work if i had a sp1 cd then updated though the internet to sp2 or sp3

#8 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2009 - 02:00 PM

Ok right now I have 2 partitions. One that I installed windows in (130GB) and one other on that is 800 GB. I already have data in the 800 GB partition...how can I split this so that I have two 400 GB partitions? Do I have to empty it first or is there another way?

Recommended and safest way would to back up all data and then repartition.
But you can resize NTFS partitions without losing data using Easus Partition Manager (free) : http://www.partition-tool.com/. Read instructions on their web site. It would involve a series of resizing, shrinking, moving and expanding of partitions.

Hi there i am having the same problem with my system i just bought today and thanks for all your imput it is most thankfull just a quick question would this work if i had a sp1 cd then updated though the internet to sp2 or sp3

If I remember correctly SP1 also supports partitions larger than 130GB. I know for sure that it is fully supported in SP2 and SP3.
What do you mean by updated through internet? You mean slipstreaming of service packs on CD? In that case, answer is yes.

#9 acornman37

acornman37
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2009 - 02:03 PM

Logix69, that's what I did. Just download the updates online. Go here: http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2009 - 03:07 PM

FWIW: If you have SP1 installed...and you want to install SP2 and SP3...just install SP3 (which includes SP2).

But you must already have SP1 installed.

Louis

#11 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2009 - 04:55 PM

Logix69, that's what I did. Just download the updates online. Go here: http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com

Yes but you would have to make a 130GB partition first that way. Later after updating, you can create larger partition. If you slipstream SP3 on XP CD, and boot from that CD to install Windows XP you can make larger size partition. I consider that as cleaner way to install XP.

See how to slipstream SP3 on XP CD : http://lifehacker.com/386526/slipstream-se...installation-cd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users