Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I must have a virus

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 roswmarybeach

roswmarybeach

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:30 PM

Last Wedneday I installed a new D-Link router DIR-615 to provide internet access on our 2 desk tops and 1 laptop (previous old D-Link router broke). Desktops are running XP and the laptop Vista. At the same time I installed Norton 360 and removed Spybot and AVG Free that I had previously been using.
Since then any Google searches are redirected to totally unrelated sites, Windows update comes back with the message Web Page not found, Malwarebytes.org and Spybot download have the same message. The same thing is happening on all 3 computers. I never had a problem with the old D-Link router and Spybot and AVG seemedto keep me safe.
I can download Hijackthis and produce a log file. Do any of the experts out there have any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 roswmarybeach

roswmarybeach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2009 - 11:55 AM

In desperation I removed the router and then hooked one PC upto the modem directly. I was able to download Malwarebytes and run a scan. It found 11 problems and 3 were DNS redirect related. I will plan on doing the same to the othe r2 computers. Why didn't Norton find these virus's - at the price I paid I thought it was the ultimate.

Malwarbytes reported DNS server address 85 255 115 74 as being in the DNS server rediurect file. Is this a known bad server address?

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2009 - 07:58 PM

Please run SmitfraudX

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-remo...se-smitfraudfix

might have to run twice

Also Update mbam and run a FULL scan
Please post the results

Edited by garmanma, 23 August 2009 - 07:58 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users