Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windowsXP update failure 0x800A01AE

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 RedThomato

RedThomato

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 18 July 2005 - 03:25 PM

I have an windows update failure, where the requested page cannot be displayed, before anything can be displayed of the downloads, or anything could be downloaded.

It occurs after requesting to show all of the updates. Microsoft does search for the newest software, then the two options come: the fast one (the advised one), and the advanced one where a person can also choose downloads that are optional.

If chosen (doesn't matter what choice), the error comes back: the page cannot be displayed/returned, and in the right upper corner this fault description is given: error 0x800A01AE.

I cannot find anything on the list of microsofts errors, or when looking on any search engine.

I have WindowsXP SP2 (built in on purchase, OEM), I put the downloadpages in the allow sites manually, tried to verify windows, again and again. Even checked over the keys in the registry. I just don't know anymore. I'm getting really desperate and sick of it all :thumbsup:

Maybe you people can help me out a bit here?!?

Edited by RedThomato, 18 July 2005 - 03:29 PM.

Ik ben nou eenmaal een Amsterdammer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 18 July 2005 - 04:52 PM

Hi that is not a microsoft error no, can you do a systems restore then go to updates again only they did have trouble earlier over weekend with updates. Hope this helps.
Now installed Microsoft Security Essencials on my Tower with Windows Home Premium 32bit and Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop with Windows Home Premium 64bit

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 18 July 2005 - 04:56 PM

See if this is of any help:
Windows Update Troubleshooter
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 RedThomato

RedThomato
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2005 - 07:57 AM

I'm sorry guys, you're good suggestions are valuable, but not working. And this problem, the no response from microsoft, is persistant for about a week now.

All these problems arrose after I recovered my PC with a reinstall.

How is it that this mysterious problem is so freekin mysterious?

#5 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2005 - 08:15 AM

Hi you don't know me i am a good friend of thedon who is on line here i work for microsoft in uk, i am visiting him at mo.

CAN you answer these questions?

1 is your disc a full xp or just an upgrade? if full then do a format of your drive and then a clean install letting disk do work you just answer questions with your buttons, if upgrade then put in disk you upgraded from then same as other.

2 did it come with your computer as part of a package? if it did then you have to go back and ask them to redo it for you as they have not set it up properly.

3. if you haven,t got complete disk then get new one with sp2 already in with it.

4. what antivirus are you using as if it is norton some upgrades play up with that,
get a free one from web, avast or avg.

I Will be here for a while if not thedon will phone me and if still not fixed will find out from programmer what can be wrong.

All the best
Microsoft engineer.
Now installed Microsoft Security Essencials on my Tower with Windows Home Premium 32bit and Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop with Windows Home Premium 64bit

#6 RedThomato

RedThomato
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2005 - 09:15 AM

Thankyou very much, but the problem is now solved.

The problem solver: I called the microsoft helpdesk right here in the Netherlands (+31) (0)205001500 as a last desperate option (i'm the type that's stubbarn and wants to do it all himself).

For the problem error 0x800A01AE, there is a simple solution it seems, it has to do with some registration actions:

Start, Run, regsvr32 wups.dll, and press OK;
Start, Run, regsvr32 wups2.dll, and press OK.

DONE! Normal updating is possible again! :thumbsup:

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2005 - 12:26 PM

Hi you don't know me i am a good friend of thedon who is on line here i work for microsoft in uk, i am visiting him at mo.

CAN you answer these questions?

1 is your disc a full xp or just an upgrade? if full then do a format of your drive and then a clean install letting disk do work you just answer questions with your buttons, if upgrade then put in disk you upgraded from then same as other.

2 did it come with your computer as part of a package? if it did then you have to go back and ask them to redo it for you as they have not set it up properly.

3. if you haven,t got complete disk then get new one with sp2 already in with it.

4. what antivirus are you using as if it is norton some upgrades play up with that,
get a free one from web, avast or avg.

I Will be here for a while if not thedon will phone me and if still not fixed will find out from programmer what can be wrong.

All the best
Microsoft engineer.

Thanks for the post, Microsoft Engineer.
We would certainly welcome you to join our forum when you return home as well.

#8 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2005 - 02:04 PM

glad you sorted it out.

#9 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2005 - 02:09 PM

Enthusiast now you know where i get my info from if i get stuck also have a microsoft windows xp inside out second edition.

#10 RedThomato

RedThomato
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2005 - 12:40 PM

Yes im very glad aswell :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users